helmet question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briyenkieth View Post
    this scares me! All of the info I've read ever about helmets state that once the eps liner is deformed that area has lost it's ability to absorb impact properly. Not my head in there but never mod your helmet.
    I'm not talking about mashing it down halfway -- I'm talking about a very slight reshaping of a very small, specific area of the hard EPS lining, mostly squashing down the sharply angled bit right at the edge of the forehead.

And actually, I didn't need to do this on my last two helmets (both HJC AC-12). So I must be getting dumber (shrinking my massive brain) or they're making the helmets with a wee bit more room these days.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Cut your ears off... Or if thats just too radical, trim them down. Wait till the bleeding stops before you go for a ride.
      Some may say this is a dumb suggestion but I dont hear them.

Comment

head injuries just freak me out. Give me the chills every time I think about them. With that said I don't want anyone to get hurt or hear about it, hence the no mods stand.

Comment

Originally posted by briyenkieth View Post
          head injuries just freak me out. Give me the chills every time I think about them. With that said I don't want anyone to get hurt or hear about it, hence the no mods stand.

Not to hijack this thread but I work in the mental health field and some of the guys I work with have had head injuries. One guy is 55 and when we was 18 he got in a bad car accident. He now can't control half his body and has a hard time pretty much doing anything, including talking. He sometimes will talk about how "he used to be just like me" he'd say and stuff like that. It's a little freaky and sobering when I think about how that could happen to me tomorrow or something. I always wear a helmet because I couldn't stand to be trapped in my own body like that.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
            Not to hijack this thread but I work in the mental health field and some of the guys I work with have had head injuries. One guy is 55 and when we was 18 he got in a bad car accident. He now can't control half his body and has a hard time pretty much doing anything, including talking. He sometimes will talk about how "he used to be just like me" he'd say and stuff like that. It's a little freaky and sobering when I think about how that could happen to me tomorrow or something. I always wear a helmet because I couldn't stand to be trapped in my own body like that.
            i went to high school with a young fellow who had a massive head injury when he was young, he spent alot of time masturbating and seemed very happy. i am with the ear trimming idea as well. i have a hatchet i keep very sharp if you would like i could lend it to you.

Comment

Hi folk
              Back when I was getting my license, my instructor told me something interesting.
              He was a semi pro race driver and very picky on equipment.
              He would get the best fitting helmet he could (by this he used to say that you should not be able to chew gum in a good fitting helmet), and he then proceeded to find out where the helmet "pinched", e.g around the forehead or ears. Then he would sit in front of the TV with the helmet on his lap and squeeze the trouble areas with his fingers.
              This amounts to the same as using a wooden spoon, or just wearing the helmet, but speeds things up a little.
              The point is to have the helmet lining form itself around your "humps and bumps" without taking anything out.
              Has worked for me.

Cheers
              -blo

Comment

Originally posted by roadhamr View Post
                i went to high school with a young fellow who had a massive head injury when he was young, he spent alot of time masturbating and seemed very happy. i am with the ear trimming idea as well. i have a hatchet i keep very sharp if you would like i could lend it to you.
                I'm not positive, but you may have just won at the internet. ;-)

My ears never hurt when I ride. I know I'll catch a lot of crap from the hardcore gear guys, but I wear a WWII style half helmet. It's DOT approved, and hey, it's better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by roadhamr View Post
                  he spent alot of time masturbating and seemed very happy.
                  Oh, duuuhhhh. Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by blo View Post
                    Hi folk
                    Back when I was getting my license, my instructor told me something interesting.
                    He was a semi pro race driver and very picky on equipment.
                    He would get the best fitting helmet he could (by this he used to say that you should not be able to chew gum in a good fitting helmet), and he then proceeded to find out where the helmet "pinched", e.g around the forehead or ears. Then he would sit in front of the TV with the helmet on his lap and squeeze the trouble areas with his fingers.
                    This amounts to the same as using a wooden spoon, or just wearing the helmet, but speeds things up a little.
                    The point is to have the helmet lining form itself around your "humps and bumps" without taking anything out.
                    Has worked for me.

Cheers
                    -blo

Well, bio, while I'm not going to outright say the man is wrong, I don't think his choice is wise. MAybe for racing, but for my personal comfort, even if I won't be chewing gum while riding, I would want to be able to move my jaw witout chomping down on my cheeks, cause with the forces that can occur in an accident, one of the last things I want to do is create any new holes in my face.

Comment

Seems to me that a helmet for racing should be tighter. Tighter means safer in a crash. Street riders should almost never crash. Helmet comfort requires a bit a movement and air circulation. A tight helmet will tire a rider quickly, and that increases the liklihood of a crash.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                        Oh, duuuhhhh. Of course.
                        Takes your mind of of the earache, anyway....

Comment

Or just do like rugby players at the front of the scrum (google it if you don't know) do...

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK
                            Here's a tip for top/tip of ear pain while wearing your helmet.

If the tops of your ears feel like they are being bent slightly, it won't necessarily be uncomfortable until you ride a while.

If the rest of the helmet fits well, try a layer or two of this kind of stuff cut into an oval at the top.

- JC
                            This is great stuff. I use it, the thick and the thin versions, for all sorts of things around the motorcycle. I put it under my tankbag to keep it from scratching the tank. We put a square of it on the passenger seat to stabilize the passenger's ride. They don't have to hang on or push on the pegs to keep from sliding with speed changes. It makes for a much more confortable ride, particularly through twisties or doing a lot of stop and go.

---Now back to your regular thread programming--
                            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                            X