No announcement yet.

Oil Pressue Gauge Damping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The liquid filled gauges quit working once the oil is hot.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Interesting thought on this today, browsing the manual for the 83750ES 16v TSCC engine. It gives figures for an oil pressure test.

It quotes:

Above 36PSI but below 78PSI at 3000RPM.

This is with the engine hot (warmed up for 10min at 2k rpm or 20 min if it's winter).

If this is the case wouldn't that be way off the gauge if Jim is using the same pump / gear?

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Interesting thought on this today, browsing the manual for the 83750ES 16v TSCC engine. It gives figures for an oil pressure test.

It quotes:

Above 36PSI but below 78PSI at 3000RPM.

This is with the engine hot (warmed up for 10min at 2k rpm or 20 min if it's winter).

If this is the case wouldn't that be way off the gauge if Jim is using the same pump / gear?

Dan
        The 16 valve 750 uses a plain crank high pressure motor. It has the same oil pump gears, but they run much higher pressure. The same gears in an 8 valve motor will increase the pressure by a few psi.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I'll be able to test this on my red hotrod, if I ever get her running! I just put 750 oil pump gears in.

Comment

I have an update on the pressure guage. I posted here a description of the problem the Bourdon gauge suffers from vibration. It needs to be mechanically damped or teh internal mechanisim will be beat to death.

The technique described in this tread does work,(to stop needle bounce due to engine pressure pulsation) but once your guage gets hammered enough the hydraulic damping will do nothing about needle bounce once those pivots on item #4 get worn.

On mine you could see little flecks of brass dust on the face. That is from the wear at the pivots. Relocating to the handlebar is a must for longevity.

I should mention, I think RenoBruce does provide an oversized rubber O ring that is a must if you do an engine direct install. Figuring out a way to do even more rubber for shock isolation would help even more. I took the o-ring off before I realized all this and the damage accelerated.
            Last edited by posplayr; 01-17-2010, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I use liquid filled (glycerin)15psi gauge`s on all of my bikes. I get the gauges from Northern Hydraulic catalog and they last a long time (years) and the more you buy the cheaper they are. They have all kinds of pressure sizes for about 18-20$ a piece. All I do is drill the plug and tap it and install it and ride it. Never had a problem with them .

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                The liquid filled gauges quit working once the oil is hot.
                They start working at 8-9000 rpm

Comment

Originally posted by Kris V View Post
                  They start working at 8-9000 rpm
                  Exactly. Once the oil is hot, you need to redline your engine to get them to move.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Jim, I think you were definitely on to something when you stated earlier in this thread that the opening feeding the gauge should be smaller. VDO has recently re-designed their gauge, and I noticed that the opening on the bottom is about 50% smaller than before.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                    X