Molasses???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Molasses???

I've used all sorts of rust removers like acids, evapo-rust, and electrolysis. I like evapo-rust a lot because of how safe it is. But since i have not been able to find it in any of my local stores i've had to order it online which costs 50 bucks for 2 gallons. Being a college student i dont have a bunch of money lying around so i've been looking for safe rust removers on the cheap, one thing i've found while researching is using 1 part molasses and 3 parts water. has anyone ever heard or tried using this on things such as gas tanks and rusting crome? I think i'm going to try it out on a random piece of rusty metal to see how well this works if at all.

coca cola will take off rust
    as will lots of other soda products

washing it off after could re-create the rust
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

It's called "the must for rust" in a white spray bottle with silver lettering. phosphoric acid which is great.

Comment

Go the molasses. The guys that restore old machinery (tractors, farm engines etc) swear by it. Just soak it for a few days and the rust will disappear.

Comment

I just picked up some Evapo-Rust from Tractor Supply,about 15 a gallon.
          http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
          1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

when I did my tank, (on a very tight student budget) I used Muriatic acid, used for etching/cleaning concrete and stone. it is not quite as strong as Phosphoric acid, but it is a little safer, and about 4$/quart.

After you have used the acid, rinse the surface with minerial spirits.

Comment

i've been trying to stay away from the acids since my last bad experience when it broke through the tub i was soaking my tank in and started eating my garage floor covering at my folks place. needles to say they weren't happy. i really like the evapo-rust so i'm probably going to call around a few more places and see if i can get ahold of it localy. Probably will still try the molasses way just to see if it actually works.

Comment

It definitely works.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                  It definitely works.

Real sweet job!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    Real sweet job!
                    Badoom tish!!!!

Comment

The problem with molasses is that it is so darned expensive here. Hardly anybody in the US uses it as a food anymore, so it isn't a common "off the shelf" item in any kind of quantity.

Naval jelly is cheaper by quart, and does a great job.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                        The problem with molasses is that it is so darned expensive here. Hardly anybody in the US uses it as a food anymore, so it isn't a common "off the shelf" item in any kind of quantity.

Naval jelly is cheaper by quart, and does a great job.
                        It's not common here anymore either except as a food for cattle and horses. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get 20 litre drums cheap over there. I suppose you need to be near an agricultural area though.

Comment

For you lucky guys living near a Tractor Supply store, Milkstone remover is phosphoric acid. Pretty cheap, and effective to remove rust. Save the fluid and reuse it after derusting something. Acids will remove plating off the metal so don't use it on things that are not going to get painted afterwards. Evapo Rust works better for plated parts since it will only attack the rust, not the other metal. Muratic acid is HCl, and depending on consentration, it can be very corrosive. Last resort stuff in my book.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

wow, that molasses is pretty cool.

so one mighth be able to submerge a tank in this, without risk of damaging the paint?

ALSO: how much molasses to how much water?

ps. sorry to hear about your acid problems. I use the stuff because I found it works, but my first time using it I definately spilled a worrying amount on my crotch, and ended up stripping down in my driveway.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
                              ALSO: how much molasses to how much water?
                              From what i've heard 1 part molasses 3 parts water and then mix till blended. i'm going to probably get some today and test it out on something small to see how long it takes and how effectrive it is. I'll post after trying it

Comment

Working...
                              X