No announcement yet.

Molasses???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy says even 9:1 will work - http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/thebecketts/rover/rust.htm

Most others say 3 or 4:1 is best.

Comment

I have a tank and a few other bits and pieces soaking at the moment, i will lift them today and take some pictures for you.
      It only takes the paint off if it is damaged, if the paint is intact it doesnt take it off.
      My mix is 5 to 1 at the moment.

Comment

I these out today, everything in the photos is still wet.
        Go here for the pics when i got the bike.

Comment

why did no one tell me about this years ago? ya know, before the accident with a tank full of muratic acid..... Bah!

Comment

Yeah I wish I would have heard about this earlier.I could have saved some of that elbow grease Ive been using for a later date....

Comment

Its great stuff, especially for $1 a litre(in Aus).
              But be warned, You garage will smell like a distillery after a few days!
              Personally, I love that smell.

Comment

Molasses?...
                Must be really slow...

Somebody had to say it.

I've used concrete etcher from Ho Depo $12 gal. (phosphoric acid again)It's easy for me tho, cause I work in an acid neutralizing plant.
                Love the workshop.

Comment

o.k. what about naval jelly ..is that not similar or have i lost the biscuit?

Comment

I have used S.O.S. Brillo pads on rusted fenders, wet'em good and rub lightly and it will remove surface rust without scratching the chrome on fenders and headers, Works great. Will try to post pics of my 30 year old stock headers without the surface rust and tennis shoes gum that had been burnt on just under the foot pegs.

Comment

Originally posted by justin caise View Post
                      Molasses?...
                      Must be really slow...
                      Somebody had to say it.

I've used concrete etcher from Ho Depo $12 gal. (phosphoric acid again)It's easy for me tho, cause I work in an acid neutralizing plant.
                      Love the workshop.
                      Good for you.
                      Molasses cleans up very easily in the back yard, and i am in no hurry.

Comment

I recommend a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses daily. This tasty spoonful has 20% USDR of Calcium, Iron, and Vitamin A. A quart runs around $7~8 bucks US. Dunno what it does for rust removal, but it seems to do very well as a nutritional supplement.

And yes, I do take it daily. (Wish I could feed some to the 550L!)

Comment

Working...
                        X