carb cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb cleaner

Just wanted to post this as an endorsement for Seafoam. Never heard of the stuff until I started to browse this site. I have an '81 550T that sat for quite some time before I bought it. I'm not much of a mechanic - I suspect that my IQ drops about 40 points when I pick up a wrench, so I'm still reluctant to do the whole carb rebuild thing. I'd feel better taking it to a shop.
    Anyway, I cleaned out the tank and started to use Seafoam. My earlier problems such as lugging, some backfiring and rough running have all but disappeared. I understand this is a partial fix, but so far it has been effective.

I put in a splash every 3-5 tankfulls. It's good stuff. Just don't get it confused with the NOS Energy drink.....

You can do your own carbs, you know. And save a ton of $$
    Heck, I did it and I have to be the most mechanically challenged person on the planet.......
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      I
      You can do your own carbs, you know. And save a ton of $$
      Heck, I did it and I have to be the most mechanically challenged person on the planet.......
      I bought my '93 G from the orig. owner who said he had just rebuilt and synched the carbs after the bike had been sitting quite some time.
      The bike ran well, but took a very long time to warm up.
      I am also not mechanically inclined, and gave this job to a motorcycle mechanic I know. Upon inspecting the carbs, he told me one of the carbs was put back together wrong - the washer and o-ring were in the wrong order. The carbs were also out of sync. Another carb was gummed-up.
      So, yes this can be done without the help of a professional, but just be careful and pay attention to what you are doing.

Comment

Working...
      X