Connector cleaning and repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connector cleaning and repair

Trying to sort out my charging "challenges" these last few days I've had occassion to play with connectors. For the life of me I haven't been able to figure out how to get the things apart. I knew they used locks to fit into the plastic housings but how to get them apart.

I was reading stuff today and ended up finding this article on the Oregon Motorcycle Parts site. Oddly, I never thought to look here directly. I had bought a regulator for my XS from them and I knew they carried a lot of good stuff. I remember my buying experience was very good and the part came quickly and works flawlessly. So kudos once again for this informative page:

Good information. Interestingly, he reinforces what we already know that most electrical gremlins are as a result of faulty or corroded connectors.Also, I like the idea of packing everything with dialectic grease. Back in the day, working on Brit sports cars and the 'orrible Lucas Electrics, we used to stuff everything with petroleum jelly ( in lieu of DG). Wonder how I forgot that.I've bookmarked it and will definitely give it a try.

Hope you find this helpful.

Cheers all,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2009, 05:15 PM.

I just tried the techniques out on some junk connectors I had kicking around. Works slick as butter. For a lock release tool, I used one of the smaller flat blade jewellers screw drivers I have.

Now, if I can stay out of the jungle juice at supper (mmmm...prime rib roast with all the trimmings...Canada Day treat) I'll pull and clean the connectors to the fuse box later.

Lets hope that helps things a bit more. I'll let you know.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      Trying to sort out my charging "challenges" these last few days I've had occassion to play with connectors. For the life of me I haven't been able to figure out how to get the things apart. I knew they used locks to fit into the plastic housings but how to get them apart.

I was reading stuff today and ended up finding this article on the Oregon Motorcycle Parts site. Oddly, I never thought to look here directly. I had bought a regulator for my XS from them and I knew they carried a lot of good stuff. I remember my buying experience was very good and the part came quickly and works flawlessly. So kudos once again for this informative page:

Good information. Interestingly, he reinforces what we already know that most electrical gremlins are as a result of faulty or corroded connectors.Also, I like the idea of packing everything with dialectic grease. Back in the day, working on Brit sports cars and the 'orrible Lucas Electrics, we used to stuff everything with petroleum jelly ( in lieu of DG). Wonder how I forgot that.I've bookmarked it and will definitely give it a try.

Hope you find this helpful.

Cheers all,
      Spyug
      IS Dialectic grease used outside of philosopy now?

Comment

I bought a tool from vintage connectors that have 5 different tools on it for many different types of connectors. One is like a small pick that i use most often to remove the pins from the nylon connectors. I have a little pick tool that works as well. There is another tool that is like a hollow shaft with a spring on the inside that i used once for a bullet type connector. All you have to do is depress a tab on the inside of the nylon connectors which allows the connector to slide out.

If you do this a few times you get the idea of how these come apart and you don't necessarily need to buy any special tool.

I bought nylon connectors from vintage connectors too. They seem to be good connectors with many different types.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Working...
        X