Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grumble grumble BRAKES flaring filthin grumble..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grumble grumble BRAKES flaring filthin grumble..

So anyone have any tips on priming and filling a rear brake system? I tried simply running my MityVac on the bleeder at the caliper, filling the res and pumping away....nothing...its not sucking anything. I REALLY dont want to have to take this assembly apart and prime it by hand. Any ideas??

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
    So anyone have any tips on priming and filling a rear brake system? I tried simply running my MityVac on the bleeder at the caliper, filling the res and pumping away....nothing...its not sucking anything. I REALLY dont want to have to take this assembly apart and prime it by hand. Any ideas??
    Josh, do you have a good seal at the bleeder? I always get leaks with the MityVac. Try wrapping 5-7 wraps of teflon tape on the bleeder nipple to see if it helps get a good seal.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
      Josh, do you have a good seal at the bleeder? I always get leaks with the MityVac. Try wrapping 5-7 wraps of teflon tape on the bleeder nipple to see if it helps get a good seal.

Thanks,
      Joe
      Thanks Joe I had sort of thought of that. Hadnt done it, because the pump was holding vac pressure, even tho nothing was coming from the line itself. I will give it a shot however.

Comment

Um, might vac worked for me... Teflon tape on the bleeder to get a better vacuum? Pull vacuum, them pump the pedal? It's been a few months now, I don't remember if I did that. That reminds me, I need to re-bleed that before WV...
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yeah, this thing sat, caliper-less for a while. Im starting to worry that the line dried out and collapsed, causing my problem.

Comment

There's also an o-ring between the caliper halves, too: that might be a place for a vacuum leak, as well as the afore mentioned bleeder threads. Your mity-vac should pull through just about anything.

Comment

Hey, make sure the hole on the bleeder screw isin't smashed or clogged. Sometimes bleeder screws get overtightened and the hole just past the taper gets squeezed closed.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyfingers View Post
                Hey, make sure the hole on the bleeder screw isin't smashed or clogged. Sometimes bleeder screws get overtightened and the hole just past the taper gets squeezed closed.
                Yes, this. And the teflon pipe tape.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Why not just bleed it the old fashioned way?

Your bike is not a car and does not require a mityvac to bleed the brakes as the lines are short and not split to 2/4 different locations. I completely flushed/replaced the fluid and bled the front and rear in less than an hour by myself with a bottle of fluid and one of the cheap one-way brake bleeder valves available at the auto parts stores. Being able to pump the brakes with one hand and wrangle the bleed screw with the other at the same time is a nice feature.

The mityvac just seems like overkill for a motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by buddha View Post
                    Why not just bleed it the old fashioned way?

Your bike is not a car and does not require a mityvac to bleed the brakes as the lines are short and not split to 2/4 different locations. I completely flushed/replaced the fluid and bled the front and rear in less than an hour by myself with a bottle of fluid and one of the cheap one-way brake bleeder valves available at the auto parts stores. Being able to pump the brakes with one hand and wrangle the bleed screw with the other at the same time is a nice feature.

The mityvac just seems like overkill for a motorcycle.
                    Uhmmm cause im not trying to just BLEED it, im trying to prime the master that is empty... thanks for that tho.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Uhmmm cause im not trying to just BLEED it, im trying to prime the master that is empty... thanks for that tho.

get off the internet and GET TO WORK!!!!

Comment

If you're trying to bleed motorcycle brakes after emptying the system (post-rebuild, for example), you usually CANNOT pump enough fluid by hand. If you do a good job of bench bleeding the master, you MIGHT be able to but it will take a while.

The Mityvac is cheap, effective, and saves a lot of time.

I bought a syringe style outfit that's supposed to help with brake bleeding by pushing fluid through the bleeder screw, but in real life it doesn't work worth a crap.
                        Last edited by bwringer; 07-10-2009, 03:08 PM.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          If you're trying to bleed motorcycle brakes after emptying the system (post-rebuild, for example), you usually CANNOT pump enough fluid by hand. If you do a good job of bench bleeding the master, you MIGHT be able to but it will take a while.

The Mityvac is cheap, effective, and saves a lot of time.

I bought a syringe style outfit that's supposed to help with brake bleeding by pushing fluid through the bleeder screw, but in real life it doesn't work worth a crap.
                          Thats my prob, the mityvac wont suck the fluid thru the res into the master... It looks like I will be pulling it off... PITA!

Comment

So do you pull it .. and open the bleeder .. and let gravity do it's thing ?

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                              So do you pull it .. and open the bleeder .. and let gravity do it's thing ?
                              Well, you can. I however usually pull the top banjo off the MC, and pour fluid into the system directly, then plunge it out by hand with my thumb over the banjo hole. Works pretty good.. just messy as hell..

Comment

Working...
                              X