Front Wheel off Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Wheel off Ground

Sorry not a tip about how to wheelie. Just a quick explanation of how I elevate my front end to remove wheel. I was doing this as part of a bigger project so I thought I'd show pics I was collecting to document things.

Step 1 put bike on center stand.

Step 2 put a short piece of 2X4 in front of bike as shown.

Step 3 grab the top of the wheel and lift with both hands and use your foot to push 2X4 under wheel. Note that this time I added an extra piece of 1/4"thick tile I happened to have laying around so that wheel was actually about 2" off ground. (a 2X4 is only 1.75 high)

Step 4 take set of small car jack stands and slide under lower frame rails as shown. Tape on top of jack stands would help to protect frame rail from scratches. Those stands cost $14 at Autozone.

Now just slide the 2X4 out from under tire and do what ever you've got to do.

Hope this tip isn't being overly simplistic, but I do see people ask how to do it. Takes all of one minute to accomplish by yourself.

Thanks for the Idea; it works well

Comment

Center stand???
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
        Center stand???
        I actually don't drive around with one attached. I leave it in my basement and just connect it up with a single bolt when I need it. Takes about two minutes. Too heavy to be driving around with.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
          I actually don't drive around with one attached. I leave it in my basement and just connect it up with a single bolt when I need it. Takes about two minutes. Too heavy to be driving around with.
          Now that, friend, is an excellent idea.... Thanks!!

I'll just have to find me one...
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

How are the repairs coming along on the hottest looking Bike on the GSR ?
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I do that also, but I had to mod the stand a bit first to clear the header. And I also have to remove the mid pipe and canister also.
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                How are the repairs coming along on the hottest looking Bike on the GSR ?
                Dave, I've slowly been doing the hunter gathering of parts. Think I have everything now although I am considering a new electrical harness. Figure after 107K miles it wouldn't hurt to start with new wires. I'm going to start a few threads to document the EZ redoux.

Thank you for the compliment, I did miss it terribly this summer. As tragic as it was to get it totaled I was at piece with it, I think, because it wasn't my fault and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. Insurance company gave me $2500 plus the bike which I thought was reasonable since the front end, engine and body work were not damaged. They were scared to death I was going to make a medical claim against them.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                  I do that also, but I had to mod the stand a bit first to clear the header. And I also have to remove the mid pipe and canister also.
                  KoV,

Here's a rough pic from the front where you can see the jack stands cradling the frame rails. They don't hit the Yosh header when it's installed. I use the same techniques on my FZ1.

Comment

Similar to that idea, I just put one of those stands under the passenger-side footrest
                    then lift the bike on the kick-stand side and slide another stand under that footrest.
                    No center-stand on my bike either.

Eric

Comment

I'm spoiled--once you use a lift table, everything else is too much trouble--mine is air over hydraulic--just put the air to it and raise it up waist high--work standing up or use a roll around height adjustable stool--easy as pie--I haven't layed on the floor to do an oil change in quite awhile--I just got too old to lay on concrete and then get back up--good suggestion though--the center stand is always the first part to be removed on my bikes!

Comment

Originally posted by knowyourenemy66 View Post
                        I'm spoiled--once you use a lift table, everything else is too much trouble--mine is air over hydraulic--just put the air to it and raise it up waist high--work standing up or use a roll around height adjustable stool--easy as pie--I haven't layed on the floor to do an oil change in quite awhile--I just got too old to lay on concrete and then get back up--good suggestion though--the center stand is always the first part to be removed on my bikes!
                        Does a lift table get the front wheel off the ground to change it or do you have stands as well?

Comment

Block & tackle hanging from the shed roof makes things really easy. I use a racing stand (we call them paddock stands) at one end and the b&t at the other.

Comment

Great tip , I actually used this method when I had my wheels coated.

Comment

I have hangers built into my garage ceiling to which are attached tie downs. All you need to do then is raise the lift, attach the tie downs to the bars, then lower the lift slightly. This suspends the front for any work you need to perform.

Comment

Working...
                              X