Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyperfiber / making fibergalss work easyier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperfiber / making fibergalss work easyier?

Came across this stuff in a auto mag. For those of you that are into the cafe style or just doing custom stuff this product looks like it could save some serious time.

Seems a tab bit pricy though

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
    Came across this stuff in a auto mag. For those of you that are into the cafe style or just doing custom stuff this product looks like it could save some serious time.

Seems a tab bit pricy though
    You still need a "buck" or mould. This would be less messy for sure, but at the prices they're showing, I'd rather get good with regular 'glass. I did a cafe tail/seat pan and it cost mRNA grand total of around $40 mould material, glass and mat and resin and all. Took me maybe 12 hours of work too.

Comment

I found some local distributors that carry it for a little less but it is still a little pricy.

If you get the wire impregnated cloth you dont need a mold you just form it to whatever shape you want and then set it in the sun.

I made a cafe seat as well from fiberglass and bondo, for a first attempt it came out all right my design could have been a little better but your right maybe $30 or $40 bucks but it was a pain in the a$$ also.

I think I am going to give this stuff a try on my next seat that will be doing here in a few weeks. I will document it and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
        I found some local distributors that carry it for a little less but it is still a little pricy.

If you get the wire impregnated cloth you dont need a mold you just form it to whatever shape you want and then set it in the sun.

I made a cafe seat as well from fiberglass and bondo, for a first attempt it came out all right my design could have been a little better but your right maybe $30 or $40 bucks but it was a pain in the a$$ also.

I think I am going to give this stuff a try on my next seat that will be doing here in a few weeks. I will document it and post it.
        The trick to doing nice nice stuff is to make a double mould. For instance, make a mould slightly larger than you want the finished product to be, maybe a couple mm in all dimensions depending on how Many layers you need for strength. Cover it in painters tape and coat with a good car wax or a spray on release agent. Then after the glass sets remove the foam mould. You can also use acetone to melt the foam but that's a bit messy. The interior of your new glass piece will be the negative mould for your final product. Pour a gelcoating in the negative and then resin and start laying glass mat on the inside. The gel coat will also act as a release agent and your final product will be smooth as glass and require no body filler. The gel coat is also a primer/sealer. Time consuming, messy if you're not carful, but works excellently

Comment

Working...
        X