WD40 uses (If been posted before sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
    I buy the stuff by the gallon, and use it in spray bottles. One thing that was missed is the main ingreideny in WD40, and it is hidden in the msds under Non-Hazardous Ingredients. It is silicone. Years ago is was needing a spray silicone lube and I searched around. I called WD and asked them if they had the product I was looking for. That is when I found that WD40 has silicone in it, about 9%. Also fish oil smells like fish, and really stinks bad.
    Try PB blaster's spray silicone lube, works a million times better. Jig-a-loo works real good also.

To be honest I dont use WD anymore, it does alot of things ok but dosent do any one thing great. I use PB for freeing rusted parts, Jig-a-loo for lubricating and deep creep for fogging or rust preventer.

Comment

Originally posted by raistian77 View Post
      Try PB blaster's spray silicone lube, works a million times better. Jig-a-loo works real good also.

To be honest I dont use WD anymore, it does alot of things ok but dosent do any one thing great. I use PB for freeing rusted parts, Jig-a-loo for lubricating and deep creep for fogging or rust preventer.
      Good products, I recommend Kroil for freeing stuck bolts and rusted parts. It is also great at cleaning light rust from parts. It's what I use to clean the rust off customer guns that have been exposed to WD40

Comment

quickest fix out there for squeaky door hinges around the house...

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
          Something similar has been done, on the local Toronto bike forum.

That test showed ACF-50 worked better than the other tested chemicals.

I use CorrosionX and T-9 which is kinda the same stuff.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

We use WD-40 to clean and rejuvenate rubber rollers ,seals,boots and extending the life of windshield wipers.

Comment

WD-40 Tip

Will help relieve pain from stinging insects,bee,wasp etc.

Comment

33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.

I've never heard a squeaky one so it must work!

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  We use WD-40 to clean and rejuvenate rubber rollers ,seals,boots and extending the life of windshield wipers.
                  Yes, this!

I use supertech brand of WD-40.

Other than that, I don't use WD....The recipe seems watered down from what I used to remember.
                  I think it used to have more uses when it was a propellant, but not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by MassJosh View Post
                    Ran a test this week, I milled a piece of steel down flat and taped off areas to try different oils on. I wiped each area with a saturated paper towel soaked in the different oils to see what would rust the most. I put the sample outside at work for 1 week. Here is the result.

When I get a chance I will run the test again with some motor oils, Amsoil, Rotella, mobil 1, and some others that I have sitting around. I was shocked that the havoline did so bad.
                    The funny part here is that 3-In-1 Oil is owned by WD-40.

Comment

I use it to clean my tires after washing the bike then wiping the entire tread area as well as the rest of the tire let it dry and voila nice looking tires and no slipping. Believe it or not it does give traction once dried just don't use an excessive amount

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        I have used it to keep things from rusting, it works for a while but then seems to promote more rust, I don't know why. Tested by spraying it in one of the four cylinders of a GS 750 that was sitting here, in about six months that one cylinder had some rust, the other three didn't.
                        Ed, I hope you have that tank on a bike full of gas sooner than that, or treat it with something else.
                        The additives that give WD-40 the water displacing properties actually remove the water by pulling it into solution. If you leave it be without using any additional rust protection, they will continue to absorb water out of the atmosphere until there is enough water present to come bac out of solution and cause the oxidation of the metal.
                        JP
                        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                        1992 Concours
                        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                        2007 FJR

Comment

Whatever you do, do not use wd40in any lock cylinder. Wd will actual mildly etch brass parts. This etch plus the absorption of humidity inside of a lock is a bad combo .

Another issue with wd, is how it reacts with other "lubricants" Wd mixed with graphite, for instance.. . it makes the graphite bond to itself, not good inside of a lock where a thickness varience less than .0001mm can leave you out in the rain.

I have been a locksmith for many years, you will not find either Wd, or graphite in my work van.

I use Wd at home regularly, great cleaner, I wipe down all of my tools with it after a project.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody mentioned using WD-40 to remove gaskets from engine parts. I learned about it on ehow and tried it on my valve cover gasket. Just get a straight razor and it will take every last bit of gasket off and keep you from gouging the part.

Comment

I don't FISH but locals around here swear that if you spray WD40 on yer worm during crappie seaon they'll go for it soon as it hits the water!!

Comment

Working...
                              X