No announcement yet.

A new relay mod for yall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The relay mods are a good idea to help take the load off the crappy ignition switch in particular and provide the proper voltage to components. However if you have a large voltage drop across the switch it's going to get worst before it gets better. If you clean the ignition as well as other switches and install a relay that's what I would consider a long term fix. If you install a relay without doing that I consider it a bandaid fix and the switch could deteriorate until it no longer can even power the relay. Providing you don't have a fairing installed it probably takes about as long to properly clean the ignition switch as it does to install the relay mod. Do what's right for you and your GS so hopefully you won't have to revisit that problem on the side of the road somewhere. Me, I was going to do the relay mod for the coils because I had a huge drop across the ignition switch and after removing and cleaning the switch first I had about .5V drop so I called it a day. I will keep an eye on it though. Oh yeah, buy a good relay like the Bosch ones because some of the cheap (Chinese) ones are not reliable and WILL leave you working on the bike at the side of the road.
    Last edited by Sandy; 09-30-2010, 11:23 AM.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Did clean the ignition contacts, but I dont trust em to hold up. Also I wanted to lower the amperage on the switch. Remeber ALL the power the bike is receiving is going through the switch, no car or truck in the world runs the entire amperage draw through the switch.

Comment

Working...
      X