Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise control

Anyone seen this, couldnt find it here.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Most interesting solution! I like the fact that he showed how by sliding the O-Ring back on to the bar end the grip returns to completely normal operation...

Another interesting homemade option I recently saw also popped up as an alternative on the same Youtube link you put up ... using a coated metal hanger, twisted to create the same friction effect, but using the front brake handle as the "stop." Normal operation is the "default" unless you use your index finger to "apply" the homemade throttle lock once you're under way.

Two clever alternatives to buying a commercial solution!

Regards,

Comment

Im actually in the process of building a ratchet type system similar to those on snowboard bindings or roof rack systems. As it turns when you set the cruise control it locks it into place at that position, then you can press the button and allow it to slide back to normal or pull the front brake which has a mechanism that lifts the assembly off the tracks. I think this o ring will be easier but if you could post a link to where you saw the wire hanger thatd be cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
        As it turns when you set the cruise control it locks it into place at that position, ...
        I would be EXTREMELY leery about anything that LOCKS the throttle.

Besides the obvious safety factor, take a look at the inconvenience, too.

You are cruising along, throttle is set perfectly for your speed. You come to an overpass, you need to add a bit of throttle. Can you do it?

OK, now let's go down the other side of that overpass. Your speed was perfect, then you had to add some throttle for the uphill, now you need to release the throttle for the downhill. Can you do it?

The o-ring will allow you to do that, but only if you have bar-end weights. None of my bikes have them.

I still prefer the Vista Universal Cruise Control for about $35 from most accessory vendors. It adds just enough friction (and it's adjustable) to allow you to remove your hand from the grip, if you need to, and still allows "normal" action when it's not activated. Even when activated, you can still move the throttle if something demands it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well theres also this, although it looks tacky I'm sure with a big of thought it could be made nicer and inconspicuous.

Comment

Here is why Harley guys should be careful of throttle locks

****We have exceeded half a million views and no one has identified this "biker"?? Spread the video around, and let's see who we can congratulate for this...

Comment

...if you could post a link to where you saw the wire hanger thatd be cool too.
              Here is the youtube link I saw:
              So I wanted to be able to take my right hand off the throttle occasionally without slowing right down (for obvious safe reasons, like adjusting my goves, and...

Here is a description of the mod. It looks like some heat shrink tubing was added to form a sleeve over the end of the twisted wire to make it a bit nicer (and less likely to poke you). I like the idea of adding some tubing over the "twists" because it won't wear as quickly as heat shrink tubing would:
              からくりサーカスが無料で全巻読める漫画アプリってないの!? と思っていませんか?そんなあなたのために「からくりサーカス」

Regards,
              Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2010, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Well theres also this, although it looks tacky I'm sure with a big of thought it could be made nicer and inconspicuous.

http://www.ofb.net/~sethml/motorcycle/throttle-lock/
                Ahh, yes ... that's the one I originally saw as well.

Regards,

Comment

Here's another option that someone on another board I'm on got and said it works well

http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

Comment

An O ring between the throttle grip and the cable housing works well. It's not a lock, just ads friction which you can use or not use any time you want.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Here's another option that someone on another board I'm on got and said it works well

http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html
                      I like that one...

Comment

Originally posted by Darin Jordan View Post
                        I like that one...
                        Thought I'd provide an update on this one... I purchased one, and it worked OK... seemed to slip a little too much. Doesn't retain enough tension on the grips for long term crusing, at least not with my grips it didn't.

I took it off today because I noticed that it had cracked. I am thinking of ordering another, but was going to look for some other options first. I'd really prefer something that was more mechanically solid. The ratcheting type, like my cousin and my uncle have on their Harleys really work well and would be nice to have. Need to see what's available...

Comment

I have a NEP, which is similar to the Vista. Never had any problems.

1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
                            I have a NEP, which is similar to the Vista. Never had any problems.

That's interesting... my throttle may have had something like this installed at one time... It has a gap between the switch housing and the grip with that same plastic ring in there...

This is the type I'm really looking for. Do you happen to have a link or name of the place where you purchased this??

Thanks.

Comment

Posplayer..unless its a older Harley, they all nowdays have standard integrated cruise control like a car. Hit the brake or twist the grip a bit and it self cancels.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X