No announcement yet.

desperate on a stuck screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thread. I've already used the slot-cutting trick to remove a few screws. My current problem is a stuck air screw. It acts like galled threads, easy to turn at the bottom but harder and then stops a few turns out. It's soaking in PB Blaster now and I'll try some heat later. Are there any other tips or tricks for removing this screw?

Here's a picture of it from John Bloemer Pictorial:
    1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfarm View Post
      Good thread. I've already used the slot-cutting trick to remove a few screws. My current problem is a stuck air screw. It acts like galled threads, easy to turn at the bottom but harder and then stops a few turns out. It's soaking in PB Blaster now and I'll try some heat later. Are there any other tips or tricks for removing this screw?
      OK I was able to remove the screw after a lot of "forward and back" motion. The threads on the screw look good. Does anyone know the thread size in case I need to chase the carb threads with a tap?

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

It's M6 x 0.5 (fine) i believe if we are talking about the same air screw ( its actually an idle mixture adjustment screw). Try McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) or J&L (jlindustrial.com). Other places online probably have it too just do a google search.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Go to either Ace Hardware/True Value and get what you need. You'll be surprised on how well you make out there.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks very much. I'm headed to Harbor Freight for a Dremel-type (I see now why they are so valuable) and some other stuff. Maybe one of their tap-and-die sets has that size. If not, I'll try Ace.

Comment

Much like Kcorbin's post below, I wanted to share my resolution to the same situation

I want to stress that I know allot of people that don't understand the idea of "Caressing" the bolt out, instead of trying your luck.

In My situation I had worked from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4. After removing the first bolt, I knew right away that the bolts had most likely never been replaced. bike currently at 27K. I took my time and work each one out successfully up until cylinder 4 Top bolt. The bolt sits snug beside the frame and between the Exhaust pipe. I was able to accomplish movement and thought I was safe when around 1/2 way out without warning just sheared off. I felt that because I had gained movement I could probably extract it with my left hand drill bits. but of coarse because of the frame being so close there was no way to get the drill anyway near there. So I did have to make a trip out to my favorite store Farm and Fleet and purchased a 5/16 about 18" drill bit that I could successfully drill a pilot hole. before drilling I always start with the center punch, then followed by the new bit. at this point with the pilot started I felt more comfortable to use my drill bit extension, (meant for Philips type bits not drill bits) (couldn't find one for Drill bits and not sure if they exist). though intended for the octagon style bit I was able to secure the drill bit in the end with the 2 provided set screws. After trying an extractor and failing I continued to drill out the bolt one size at a time until I saw the threads start to appear. I thought I might be able to then pull out little bits at a time but was unsuccessful. I then hoped for the best as I used my tap to carefully align with the fist couple threads. now because the engine is still in the frame, I came up with an extension concoction. that I was semi proud of. I don't know if it was just my luck but the square drive on the tap was actually vary close to the square drive for a 1/4 ratchet. so i used a 8" 1/4 drive extension with the Tap tool clamped to the end (where the socket normally goes). at times I couldn't get a strait on shot to every cylinder so I put a 1/4 swivel between the extension and Tap. the method work relay well except for a few small abrasions against the frame.

Just sharing my experiences. hope this helps

Thanks for all the knowledge on the site

Comment

On those recessed side cover screws that have been previously molested, I simply take my impact driver and put in a wide FLAT bit. then while pressing it straight and centered onto the screw head, I whack it 4 or 5 times keepink it relocated in the same spot each hit. That usually makes a very nice slot in the already bad head. If It looks like it needs more of a slot, I hit it in a few more times. Then while pressing in and turning the driver CCW, I hit it sharply and it almost always comes right out.

On other screws, I also take a sharp needle punch and punch a deep "DOT" into the head anywhere I can get it as far to the outside as possible still in the meat of the head.... then take the same punch and turn it so the force will unscrew that bolt and hit it hard. NEVER FAILS.

Comment

Take out the battery and the air box and add some extentions to the driver and go in thru the frame..plenty of swing room for a hammer out there. And ever wonder why they made it a 3/8 removable head?? Thats right...so you can have a socket impact as well!!!
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-27-2012, 10:56 PM.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by madbikebreaker View Post
                    Soak that dang thing with PB blaster for a few days. Get 2 good chisels. One sharp, one dull head. Knock a notch with the sharpy and then use the big head one to tap it around. Has worked everytime for me. Takes flippin forever, but it will work.
                    Haven't had this method fail me yet.
                    sigpic
                    Steve
                    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      I think thats a #2 phillips tip....Whatever, its a good idea. Next time youre at the tool store buy a dedicated apex bit socket. Its magnetic so the bit dont fall out.

The ratchet is great until you run into a tight spot. Thats when I grab an air ratchet.

If the phillips screw head is F'ed up grab a dremel and cut a straight slot in it. Then use a straight apex bit.
                      I have used this method many times over .

Comment

Originally posted by fishfarm View Post

Here's a picture of it from John Bloemer Pictorial:

I read a study recently, I think linked from another post somewhere here, that a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone was far more effective as a penetrating agent. I recently picked up a bike that had that screw stuck, the PO tapped a slightly oversized torx bit in to it to get more traction on it, worked well.

Comment

Working...
                        X