Temporary fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary fuel tank

Anyone have a good suggestion of what to use as a temporary fuel tank for synchronizing etc.. I am not a fan of the "I just put a really long hose on the stock tank and balance it on the seat" I remember seeing a fuel barb and vent that attached to a standard 'sceptre' style gas can but I haven't seen then for around for a long time. I was also thinking of a camp fuel bottle. Really the problem is not the vessel, but how to get it out safely. Ideally I'd like to hang it on a sort of "iv" rack --- fuel bottle on one side - manometer on the other.

People like to use old bottles of gear oil. just cut off the bottom and hang it from the handlebars.

Comment

Gear oil bottle is a good one. Make sure you clamp the hose....

Don't balance the tank on the seat if you do it that way.... A tall dustbin, shelf or somewhere is better!
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have an extra set of long fuel and vacuum lines that I hook up to my other bike............It works great.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I use a gear oil bottle as well. Hang it on the garage door rails with a coat hanger.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Removing two small bolts gets the tank out of my riding mower, and the bolt holes make a nice place to hook the bungee cord to hang it from the handlebar. Fuel hose fits just great. Long nosed vise grips keep gas from leaking during the move.

Remember your fuel pressure is the (constant) fuel density times the vertical height. Hang your temp tank too high and your needle valves won't be able to hold back the pressure.

Comment

The bottle should be hung in about the same position the real tank would be.
              Crimp the rubber hose with hemostats to shut it off.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                Removing two small bolts gets the tank out of my riding mower, and the bolt holes make a nice place to hook the bungee cord to hang it from the handlebar....
                A few bucks at Lowe's, Home Depot or a lawn mower shop will get you a new tank, so you don't have to mess with removing one from your mower.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

auxilary Tank

Here is one for you. I have the luxury of living in Illinois. I have a 8 hp snow blower and the tank comes off with 2 bolts and unhooking the fuel line. P.O.C. I use that after the snow is done and fine the use of it after rebuilding a set of carbs and syncing. Clamp it on a elevated platform and it is good to go. Works like a charm. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                    Here is one for you. I have the luxury of living in Illinois. I have a 8 hp snow blower and the tank comes off with 2 bolts and unhooking the fuel line. P.O.C. I use that after the snow is done and fine the use of it after rebuilding a set of carbs and syncing. Clamp it on a elevated platform and it is good to go. Works like a charm. Bob
                    I have the 'luxury' of living in an apartment...
                    My brother had suggested a lawnmower tank also. Strangely difficult to locate in this city...

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I use a coolant recovery tank I picked up at the local autoparts for less than $10. It was clean an unused when I purchased it. It has 3 nipples (can I use the word nipples? ) and they are closed off when you purchase it. I use one to connect to the fuel line on the bike. I use a second as a vent when using the tank.
                        I hang the tank from the left side mirror using a long zip tie that stays on the aux fuel tank.
                        When not using the tank, I keep the attached hose connected to the two nipples so it does not vent into the atmosphere.
                        I got the idea from a fellow GSR member.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          A few bucks at Lowe's, Home Depot or a lawn mower shop will get you a new tank, so you don't have to mess with removing one from your mower.

Thanks for the advice Steve, but it takes me about 2 minutes to extract. At my state of mental deterioration that's about half as long as it would take me to remember where I left my spare the last time I used it in my messy garage. It's hard to misplace the mower

The gear oil bottle seems like just the ticket for you, Bluewool. Run by an auto shop or parts store and see if they have any empties people used to bring in oil for recycling.

Great pics Cliff.

Comment

+1 with Steve's method. A small engine or lawmmower shop will have one. Many times when someone goes to get their mower fixed but finds out it will cost way too much to fix the shop will just add that mower to their metal pile. That's were I found my tank. May have helped that I bought my weedwacker, exmark lawnmower, and snow blower from them.
                            1979 GS850G
                            2004 SV650N track bike
                            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              I use a coolant recovery tank I picked up at the local autoparts for less than $10. It was clean an unused when I purchased it. It has 3 nipples (can I use the word nipples? ) and they are closed off when you purchase it. I use one to connect to the fuel line on the bike. I use a second as a vent when using the tank.
                              I hang the tank from the left side mirror using a long zip tie that stays on the aux fuel tank.
                              When not using the tank, I keep the attached hose connected to the two nipples so it does not vent into the atmosphere.
                              I got the idea from a fellow GSR member.
                              Great idea! Thanks!
                              2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                              1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                              2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                              s)

Comment

Working...
                              X