Temporary fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
    The gear oil bottle seems like just the ticket for you, Bluewool. Run by an auto shop or parts store and see if they have any empties people used to bring in oil for recycling.

Great pics Cliff.
    Hi,

Mine is a very low-tech, low-cost solution. I had everything in my garage except for the barbed connector which I picked up at the hardware store for a couple of bits. One of these days I might pick up a fancy coolant recovery tank, window washer fluid tank, or lawn mower tank. But as long as this works, it's good enough for me.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
      Thanks for the advice Steve, but it takes me about 2 minutes to extract. At my state of mental deterioration that's about half as long as it would take me to remember where I left my spare the last time I used it in my messy garage. It's hard to misplace the mower

The gear oil bottle seems like just the ticket for you, Bluewool. Run by an auto shop or parts store and see if they have any empties people used to bring in oil for recycling.

Great pics Cliff.
      Yeah, I grabbed lunch with a friend who has a JDM tuning shop. I was going to snag the coolant reservoir from one of the tow-away cars in the back but opted for the easily recyclable gear oil bottle(there was a huge bag of them).

Thanks for all the input

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
        +1 with Steve's method. ...
        Actually, that's just a suggestion, it's not the method that I use.

The method that I use, I can not recommend, as it's not really safe enough to put it out there for general use.

I cut a hole in the top of a gallon oil jug, put a piece of rubber hose as a sleeve-type gasket, then ran some clear hose to a barbed fitting that fits into the fuel hose for the carbs. I have since added a piece of plywood that sits on the frame rail and holds the jug, but here it is in "action".

The jug:

The barbed fitting:

With the gas turned OFF (turned so outlet is on top):

With the gas turned ON (turned so outlet is on the bottom):

Yeah, I know, the 'real' gas tank shouldn't be there in the picture, but I was not working on the bike when I took the pictures.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The method that I use, I can not recommend, as it's not really safe enough to put it out there for general use.

Safety is a concern for me, according to my strata agreement I am not suppose to work on any vehicles in the parkade. The last thing I need to do is have a fuel fire... as a precaution against my own stupidity I do bring two 10lb dry chemical extinguishers out there when I work on anything fuel related.
          Eventually I will find a shop space somewhere.

Comment

While working on a CB550 with an extremely dirty tank, a 1 gallon Ocean Spray jug, the vent hose from an xr100, some silicon, a screw, duct tape, and an appropriately sized drill bit were used for its first test flight. Drill a hole in the bottom of the jug, insert hose, silicon around it, put the screw into the cap as a vent, fill via the cap, duct tape to the spine in a fairly accurate angle to the real tank, voila, functionality on a budget.

Its amazing what two 20 year olds with no money can up with should the need arise.

Comment

I agree that pretty much any bottle and hose will do. If you want to go super expensive you could always grab an Apple Inc. sticker and slap it on the side of this guy...

Comment

I use an upside down gallon sized plastic milk jug with a threaded cap as my temp tank. I punched a hole in the plastic cap and jb-welded a brass air hose nipple in there which makes it real easy to use with just about any size rubber gas line.

Comment

i used my gas tank just remove the seat flip it around 180 degrees it sits perfectly although i had to use longer vac line other than that even my fuel gauge stayed connected.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodik View Post
                    i used my gas tank just remove the seat flip it around 180 degrees it sits perfectly although i had to use longer vac line other than that even my fuel gauge stayed connected.
                    I also just used my gas tank. I set it on of these and ran some longer lines. Of course, Steve had to re-do everything I had tried to adjust, but the fuel supply part worked.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I'm with Larry. I just bought $11 worth of Fuel and Vacuum Line and set my tank on my workbench. Works perfect and there is no danger of dropping my tank at all I got four feet of each and it's MORE than enough. In fact, three would have probably been plenty.

-Gumbo

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                      I have an extra set of long fuel and vacuum lines that I hook up to my other bike............It works great.

Comment

I went to the wrecking yard to find an old overflow radiator tank or a windshield washer tank, but the place was closed. On the way home I remember I had an old lawnmower so I took the tank off of it and picked up some fuel line. I suspended it from a tripod light tower I had, it works quite well. I'm sure if you check at a small engine repair place they would have a extra tank laying around off of something, weedwacker, chainsaw, mower, snowblower. Some of the tanks may already have a fuel shutoff on them.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
                          Eventually I will find a shop space somewhere.
                          ...and don't forget that you have an open invitation to use the garage at 615 backyard mechanic's
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

One day I will get smart and make a nice temporary fuel rig. It will sure beat the tiny micro funnel I shove into the elevated fuel line. I continue to use it for some reason. I have to refill it every minute. It literally seems like 8 seconds between fill-ups while tuning. ha ha

Comment

Working...
                            X