The greatest invention ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The greatest invention ever.

Ok ok so it doesnt rank up there with...say... Electric lighting...or motorcycles. But *I* do happen to think it's better than sliced bread. Really, who's so lazy they'd rather not eat than slice bread?
    Anyway, I dunno what ya call it really, and they've probably been around a long while, but I've only recently been introduced.

Everyone, or just about, is familiar with a paddock stand, or a swingarm stand or whatever you want to call it for the rear end of a bike. And some are familiar with paddock stands for the front. Usually the later employs more or less the same design as the rear, only picking the front end up by the axle nuts or what have you. And that's all well and good if you're just cleaning your wheels or messing with the brakes or whatever. But what if, like mine, your bike doesn't have a centerstand and you want to change the front tire? Sure you could use a motorcycle jack. But that either requires removing the pipes or blocking the jack up between them with 2X4 so you don't put the weight on the exhaust. Cant use the normal front end stand because it lifts it by the axle, which you need access to.

No, this little gem of a stand lofts the bike up in the air by the steering stem I'll get pics up for those of you unfamiliar with one but it's handy dandy. Changing fork springs? Replacing fork seals? This little baby helps tremendously. And while I got it for my Rex, thus far it's fit into every GS stem, from 650 on up that I've tried it on. It's adjustable for hight so you can get the front wheel off the ground by at least and inch or so even on the shortest forked models. I wish I would have picked one up sooner. Saves a fair bit of time figuring out where to jack the bike up, fiddling with the jack and a block of wood. And it's WAY more stable.

What amazes me most about this is that I never noticed the stems on my bikes are hollow, even though I've changed the bearings on both.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Link? Pictures?

Having just fought this battle with my centerstandless 1100E, I am interested...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Isn't that called a triple tree stand?

EDIT: Goole search confirms, also called a headstock stand.

Comment

Yes. And here's a linky to the ones I have

Comment

Stem stands have been around for a long time. It's handy, but it's one more thing in your way when you're needing to pull the tire.

Personally I use one of two methods. First and favorite is I have special beam in the attic over my garage that loads up six rafters...way more than I'll ever need. I fitted a chain to this beam and i dangles through the ceiling. From here I have lifted up to 750lbs using a steel cable come-a-long (or whatever it's called). Lifting the front of a bike is cake with this setup...I can lift from the bars, triples, frame, etc...works great.

Second preference is to put the bike on the side stand and use a floor jack to lift the forward frame up. It'll hoist the bike up just barely enough to allow a tire change.

Both of these work, cost lest than $20, and do not leave another piece of equipment around my garage that I have to contend with. If you have plenty of room and don't mind spending the money, get the stand.

This is the stem stand:

For anyone who buys one: BUY A NAME BRAND!!! Pit Bull is one of the best. Avoid the chinese and no-name knock-offs...don't underestimate the strain on the stem that's holding your bike up.

Comment

I just take a nylon sling and hang the bike off of my cherry picker.
              Or, you could use a come along off of a basketball hoop base, etc.
              Leaves nothing, really, in the way.

Daniel

Comment

That looks pretty interesting. I created a thread for what I made up for my bikes. I'm going to look into adapting it for use on the stem.

sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                X