Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RE: Complaints about handlebar vibrations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And these are actually the clip ons off an XN85 turbo. They're about an inch taller than the stockers.

Comment

As far as the caulk goes,,,I wouldn't think it could get very far into the handle bar. Along those line's,,what about using some of the expanding foam that is used around window's and door's. You could actually put an extension tube on there and literally fill the bar's with foam. Let it expand all the way out, and trim off the extra.

Would that be dense enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
        As far as the caulk goes,,,I wouldn't think it could get very far into the handle bar. Along those line's,,what about using some of the expanding foam that is used around window's and door's. You could actually put an extension tube on there and literally fill the bar's with foam. Let it expand all the way out, and trim off the extra.

Would that be dense enough.
        It's not so much how much length of the bar you can fill, but the mass of the caulking. The more dense, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
          My Katana has solid aluminum clip-ons, no way to put anything inside them.
          I did put some heavy stainless bar end weights on but I think it is mostly a cosmetic/academic exercise.

Currently looking at ways to modify a top triple to mount tubular bars; make this beast a bit more comfy. My fingers start tingling after about 20 mins.
          I'm not as young as I once was, I guess....
          Got a tip for you.. The top triple and bars of a 750 es/ef is a bolt on..

Comment

I had no difficulty filling my stock bars with caulking. I just cut the nozzle to fit the plug from the bar end, and pumped away. It took 10 minutes until caulk was oozing out the opposite plug hole on the other side. it took a week to set, being enclosed where air couldn't get it. Definitely reduced vibrations.

Comment

handle bar vibrations

when reducing vibration with BB`s do you fill the bar from end to end?
              sigpic1979 GS 1000E:cool:
              Southside Chicago

Comment

I heartily second the caulk recommendation!

One *strong* word of caution though: watch for holes in your handlebars that lock your headlight/turn signal switches and throttle housings into place. Unscrew those, cover up the holes with something substantial, and then start pumping away. Umm, don't ask me how I learned about this!

I ended up using about a tube and a half and it was one of the cheapest improvements I could make for under $5. It *really* smoothed things out; much more than I had expected.

Comment

resurrecting an old thread.....

Now that I'm older, my hands are apparently more sensitive to vibration. I would like to add some bar-end weights to the stock bars on my 1100E's. However, as you all know, the stock bars didn't have any weights and don't have any welded-in nutplates inside the ends to attach any weights to if you wanted to. So my question is, are there any bar-end weights out there with a "wedge-bolt" type device that expands inside of the hollow bar end to attach itself to the bar-end instead of needing a nut-plate to be screw to? Just curious if anyone has seen or used such a end weight and if so, where did they find it. Thanks!

Comment

A lot of bar-ends on eBay

Comment

Why not just figure out why the bike is vibrating? Is everything synched correctly and all frame bolts properly torqued? I had that problem last year where I constantly felt a vibration. Come to find out, the rear mount bolt was just barely loose enough to cause it. Once I fixed that, I didn't have any issues for the rest of the season.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Zmike View Post
                        Those are too light to do any vibration dampening.
                        I used these on a KZ750E I owned. http://www.manicsalamander.com/products.aspx
                        I also made my own bar snake. I used vinyl tubing and RTV. The combo helped a lot.
                        The thing to understand about these things is that they do not reduce engine vibration, they just move the harmonic vibrations into a different rpm range.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Or you could just ride a well balanced inline four and have no vibrations at all.
                          I ditto that tkent, I'm amazed how smooth my GS is when properly tuned, mirrors are clear and sharp at speed.

Comment

oldschool,
                            A lot of things can cause bar end vibration. I added weights to my last bike and it did not help. I finally realized That I was twisting the throttle hard enough to scare the hell out of myself and making my hands shake.
                            Niels

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkool View Post
                              Now that I'm older, my hands are apparently more sensitive to vibration. I would like to add some bar-end weights to the stock bars on my 1100E's. However, as you all know, the stock bars didn't have any weights and don't have any welded-in nutplates inside the ends to attach any weights to if you wanted to. So my question is, are there any bar-end weights out there with a "wedge-bolt" type device that expands inside of the hollow bar end to attach itself to the bar-end instead of needing a nut-plate to be screw to? Just curious if anyone has seen or used such a end weight and if so, where did they find it. Thanks!
                              The "standard" bar weights on modern sport bikes are heavy steel with a bolt down the center and a rubber stopper that expands inside the handlebar when you tighten the bolt. Since the bar diameters are the same as the old style bars, these weights will work fine in your old GS.

Many (MANY) of the bar weights sold aftermarket or ebay are light aluminum and are mostly for show. This is why the OEM factory weights sell for more on ebay than brand new weights. The Hayabusa bar weights are highly sought after because they are freakin' huge. I know, I just picked up a set for my 1100, they just need some sanding and painting.

If you want to go high tech, the "Vibranators: get very good reviews but I haven't tried them.

Comment

Those vibranators look like a manic salamander clone. They should work in a similar manner, which is good but not perfect. Or moderately as the review states.

Comment

Working...
                                X