• Show
Clear All

Re-shaping Gas Tanks

If anyone has done this you must have a few tips to pass on:-

What worked well
    What not to do
    How much can you change
    Tools needed.......etc

Any help would be appreciated here before I make the first blow !

Thanks
    Mark

just batter it until it looks like you want it to. if you batter it too much then filler it and reshape it. if you really batter it to much, then buy a second hand tank and start again with a smaller batterer
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Beat to fit.

Paint to match.

Comment

Great topic - I'm thinking of doing the same for the first time. I want to scoop out the top right and left so there's room for the clipons to come closer to the tank and scoop out areas for the knees - What kind of mallet is recommended - I'm thinking a Hard rubber mallet and also filling the tank with sand to cushion / control the blows... Would love to hear advice from those who have done it.

Comment

I think the sand (or something like it easier to get back out) might help a lot.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Shaping mallets are preferred.

But you can do it with a rubber mallet and ball peen hammers as well. The sand will help if you have a heavy hand. Ive always used slag,

cause it was handy. If you go sand, use a large grain. it wont pack tight and it will be less moist if left over time. I dont know why that is, but lesson learned. Also, mark the area youre working so you have a guide line to work from. You can also do the swap trick. You mark the shape, cut it out on both sides and swap the pieces in so you have indents.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Sosei View Post
              Beat to fit.

Paint to match.

I thought it was:

Cut to fit

Beat in place

Paint to match

I guess I've been doing it wrong.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

OK, so let me ask a specific question.

If you are looking to put Cafe type knee impressions on the sides of a tank, do you start in the midle of the area and work your way out, or start on the edges and work your way in ?

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X