Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 1000 stator

Hello!

I must take apart my gs generator, because my starter clutch went wrong.
    I realized that two of the three wires thats come from my stator rubbed out ( I know already that my generator isn't charge on all the 3 wires but it was enough for me, i should used it on higher rpm, but now that i should repair my generator i think i do it too) so i soldered it. Now with the stator out of the side cover i measure resistance and i realized that 1 of the wire still not good (between 2 wire is 1,5 ohm and between the third and any of the another 2 wire is no or ultimate resistance, i dont know the multimeter shows only 1 that means i think out of range).
    How should i know that just the wire is broken elswhere or the stator winding is bad? I dont want to rewind the stator if isnt necessary.

Originally posted by GSSzucs View Post
    Hello!

I must take apart my gs generator, because my starter clutch went wrong.
    I realized that two of the three wires thats come from my stator rubbed out ( I know already that my generator isn't charge on all the 3 wires but it was enough for me, i should used it on higher rpm, but now that i should repair my generator i think i do it too) so i soldered it. Now with the stator out of the side cover i measure resistance and i realized that 1 of the wire still not good (between 2 wire is 1,5 ohm and between the third and any of the another 2 wire is no or ultimate resistance, i dont know the multimeter shows only 1 that means i think out of range).
    How should i know that just the wire is broken elswhere or the stator winding is bad? I dont want to rewind the stator if isnt necessary.
    if one leg is bad, you can be pretty sure that the insulation on the other legs is not perfect either and could fail at any time as well. A rewind/replacement now would only be prudent.

Comment

Thanks.

So i rewind it or i look for a cheap one.

Comment

Hungry....Nice!
        When you get a chance,show us some pictures of your bike along the Hungry countryside or city for that matter.
        http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
        1978 GS1000C
        1979 GS1000E
        1980 GS1000E
        2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Hungry....Nice!
          When you get a chance,show us some pictures of your bike along the Hungry countryside or city for that matter.
          It is Hungary not hungry Worchester sauce.....open a map!You have any idea where to look for it?
          Na mindegy,orulok hogy vegre van meg egy Magyar itt!
          Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
          Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
          '84 Honda VFR 500
          '86 GSXR 750
          http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/..._DSC0127-1.jpghttp://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...amamatsu-1.jpg

Comment

There is a post about rewinding your stator . Use it for reference if you plan on doing it yourself

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2011, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligs View Post
              It is Hungary not hungry Worchester sauce.....open a map!You have any idea where to look for it?
              I thought it was Worcestershire sauce!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by caligs View Post
                I may be spelling challenged but not geography challenged.
                I am hungry for Hungary photos though.
                Thanks,glad the spelling police are ever vigilant.
                http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

Stator?

Are you in Budapost or somewhere by Balaton?
                  Note, A newer GSXR stator can be used if you turn the outside diameter down. I think about 1.25mm I have one and am waiting to use it but may have another, from an old GS 1000 as well.
                  Maybe?
                  Greg
                  sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                  2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                  Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                  '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    if one leg is bad, you can be pretty sure that the insulation on the other legs is not perfect either and could fail at any time as well. A rewind/replacement now would only be prudent.
                    soundslike something HAL might say;"I've just picked-up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go to 100% failure in 72hrs."
                    boy now thats off the wall!

Comment

I have rewound my own stator out of my 750 and found it to be demanding on my sissy fingertips. However, if you're not too keen to spend 100+ dollars on a replacement, know that you CAN do it successfully. I followed the guide posted elsewhere here and did not have too much trouble.

Think I paid about 15 dollars on magnet wire.

Comment

Originally posted by snicrep5 View Post
                        soundslike something HAL might say;"I've just picked-up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go to 100% failure in 72hrs."
                        boy now thats off the wall!

Hey our IBM servers at work have great predictive failure analysis on the baseboard management controllers. Memory and drive failure alerts are the best. You can usually get new parts shipped before its a prob, and you actually do get emails similar to Hal's. And yes I have let parts fail just to test it out. Spot on.

Although a little scary considering.... IBM shifted one letter is HAL lol

So it's not so far fetched.... Just sayin'

On a motorcycle related note: got a Ricks from rm stator, they are machine wound and spot on highly recommended as some one who wound toroidal ps and inductor cores for custom built amps by hand. Been ther done that. No thanks.

Comment

"On a motorcycle related note: got a Ricks from rm stator, they are machine wound and spot on highly recommended as some one who wound toroidal ps and inductor cores for custom built amps by hand. Been ther done that. No thanks. "

I wonder where rm gets their magnet wire from............... these stators get real hot and going for the cheapest supplier could result in a shorter life. I'll take my chances with 30 year old used Japanese stators .
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I wonder where rm gets their magnet wire from............... these stators get real hot and going for the cheapest supplier could result in a shorter life. I'll take my chances with 30 year old used Japanese stators .
                            Mine is a Ricks Motorsport Electric, I only purchased it FROM RM stator. As far as I know they are not the same supplier/seller as RM stators have a generic branded RM stator only on their site, where as the Ricks Motorsport Electric stator that I purchased can be found from various suppliers. I did think that some of the RM's looked a little cheaper. Could be that they use thinner gauge wiring, which would run hotter, since there is the same amount of current going over less surface area of wire, thus increasing resistance and heat. The Ricks I have had the same wiring gauge that the original had and was very neatly machine wound, and spot on on all three stator legs. It matches specs from Suzuki spot on all three legs. It came with the grommet for the housing pre installed, and the wires were shrink wrapped and crimped as well. It does not run any hotter then the original (measured with a Fluke thermal gun) and was recommended by two different individuals which which whom I talked with. I still have my original which I can re-wind, but a factory winding is tighter and more precise often then a new guy could do by hand after several hours winding. If you enjoy hand winding stators, then by all means... Just not something I would want to be doing, having done that for several power supplies and inductor cores for projects, before discovering companies that would machine wind them to my specs often for not much more. Having dealt with several electronics suppliers, any competent supplier can make a decent magnet wire, only botch jobs I have seen are using the incorrect gauge wire, or having an inconsistent overall gauge size, which is generally rejected by any self respecting manufacturing facility. There isn't a whole lot you can screw up on magnet wire. Overall all I am pleased with my Ricks Motorsport Electrics stator, and would highly recommend it to replace any OEM Suzuki stator, which is also still available new stock for double the price and seams to be holding up well. I will let you know, but so far the stator is the least of my worries on that electrical system right now. Heck its the only part working IN SPEC currently.

The thing that wares out is the resin coating, really its just solid copper with resin insulation which burns off and shorts out. Which all of that crusty oil on there, that to me says that it got to hot, melted and shorted. I personally would have gone for some thicker gauge wiring, but then I would have had to make my assembly larger, and add cost to the stators Suzuki used. Their grounds are also something of a bit of a disappointment, form the engineering department on these bikes here. If ground are connected to the main ground only though resistance, or not at all, its a floating ground. Should have been a no brainier.

Hand winding will take forever. You may enjoy it... at first... I would pay more, and have one professionally machine wound at a factory, which is way tighter, and more precise than any individual could do, just so that I wouldn't use up my afternoon winding if I didn't have to.

Course I am a student still, so if it really boiled down to it and I was hard up for cash. Which occasionally happens I might hand wind one. But there are companies which wind these all of the time that may be willing to wind it for you for not much if you tell them the gauge, type, and the length...

Comment

Working...
                            X