Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS425 Valve shim removal/install (probably 400 and 450 too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS425 Valve shim removal/install (probably 400 and 450 too)

hello all,
    new guy here thought Id post a quick demo.

If this has been done already with a similar or better technique, mods please feel free to delete this lol

so the zip tie method of valve shim removal is ingenious. However id did not work for me on my 79 GS425. It simply did not hold the valves far enough down to get those suckers out of there.

on the twins we have the luxury of having the valves very close to the spark plug hole. (dunno on the 4 cy)

sorry some of the pics are a little fuzzy

heres how I did it:

Turn your crank shaft till your cam lobe is pushing straight down on the valve whos shim you need to remove. (to turn crank remove points cover use 19mm wrench spin clockwise)

Make tool. I used a piece of coat hanger with a thin strip of duck tape wrapped around it. (NOTE: make sure coat hanger is clean and duct tape is VERY secure, dont want a strip of duct tape falling into your engine!!!!!)

make a 90 at the end of the coat hanger, with roughly 1/2 inch after the bend. make it short enough so you can stick it right down the spark hole.
    observe:

with a flashlight you should be able to see your valve sticking into the combustion chamber. simply place the duct tape wrapped part of the tool between the valve and its seat just like the zip tie method.

rotate crank so the lobe is not pressing down on the valve, wiggle the tool, if its in place, it will hold itself in position

use a small flat head screw driver, and get it in the notch on the valve (you may have to spin the valve around to find it)

GENTLY wiggle the screwdriver in and pry the valve up, dont push or shove, the shim will slide off the top of the valve and be harder to grab.

use needle nose or doctors clamps to grab the shim...

and victory! its out!

pretty dang easy!

If this is old news, cool. if not, hopefully this helps some of us twin guys out there make life a little easier

thanks for reading
    Ray
    Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2012, 11:12 PM.

Nice work.....I used a fairly large ziptie and trimed it down so it is about the thickness of the wire you have pictured. I had the zipties laying around in the garage for about 3 years since I bought them to hold my hurricane shutters together while in storage.

Comment

Working...
    X