Fixing plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing plastic

Just posted this in response to a request over on the Busa forum. Thought folks might be interested here as well....

I have been making my own "ABS cement" for a long time, as the pre-mixed stuff is hard to find on the East Coast.

Find some old ABS plastic (most of the black plastic on a motorcycle). Shave a pile of it with a knife and mix it in a jar with some acetone (available at Home Depot). It will take awhile to fully dissolve, depending on how big the slivers of plastic are. Easiest to let it sit overnight if you're not in a hurry. I mix it up the consistency of honey or window caulk.

For cracks, sand the back of the panel to clean off any dirt or paint. Wipe down with acetone. Spread the ABS cement over the crack and let a little soak into the crack. Add a layer of fiberglass for reinforcement and then brush on a little more of the ABS cement. Wipe any ABS off the front side of the fairing part and you'll be left with a small hairline crack if you don't want to repaint.

You can layer this stuff up pretty thick and it doesn't shrink a lot as it dries. It can be sanded back smooth if you are fixing gouged material. The best thing is that it is exactly the same stuff your fairing is made out of, so it makes a very nice repair.

I keep a jar of this on my shelf. The acetone fumes will eat through the plastic liner the lid on most glass jars, so I put a piece of Saran wrap over the jar and then screw on the lid. Put this inside a ziplock bag and it will last for months. If it gets too thick, add a little acetone to thin it out.

I just stumbled across this valuable tool about a year or so ago and I must say it is the absolute best way of working with ABS parts.

As you mention, since it is ABS plastic itself it actually bonds with the piece being worked and is almost impossible to break off. It can be made in a thick or thin consistancy depending on the amount of plastic added. When in a thicker 'putty like form it can be molded. Modelers clay (plasticene, Play-doh etc) can be used to make a mould for things like clips or posts.

Combined with sheet ABS ( available from hopbby stores or plastics distributors) it can be used to make all kinds of repairs or create new pieces. I recently posted on my repair to the chin fairings of my Kat project. The ends were formed in a "grill" and had broken off which is quite common. I fabed up new end pieces and joined them to the originals. I am undecided whether or not to cut the grills out. :

This is great stuff to work with and can make fixing body pieces really easy.

Thanks for mentioning it.

cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Fixing ABS plastic

ABS plastic cement is your friend!!!

Found at (B)Lowe's in the plumbing isle. For chemical welding the black plastic ABS plumbing pipe. Totally fuses ny ABS it comes in contact with. Like when you were a kid and assembled the models with the old testors model cement(mmmm smells so good)--same results. Has ABS resin in it, can be used as filler.
      1981 GS750L (sold)
      1981 GS750L (current)
      1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
      1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
      1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
      1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
      1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
      1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
      1980 GS1100L (Janice)
      Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
      e tan, e epi tan

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman001 View Post
        ABS plastic cement is your friend!!!

Found at (B)Lowe's in the plumbing isle. For chemical welding the black plastic ABS plumbing pipe. Totally fuses ny ABS it comes in contact with. Like when you were a kid and assembled the models with the old testors model cement(mmmm smells so good)--same results. Has ABS resin in it, can be used as filler.
        This is the stuff I special ordered a couple of years ago from a plumbing supply house. They told me they use it on the west coast (and evidently in Ohio!), but not in the east. Anyway, works great, but it's easy to make your own too.

Comment

I've never seen that here and I found that the stuff sold locally (yellow in colour) doesn't bond as well. I am personally much happier with the slurry.

Its always good to have other options mind you so thanks for pointing it out.

Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
            I broke a post of a side cover and tried the slury. I am sold.

Best thing since sliced bread.

DP
            I broke the post off one of my side covers. So now I have a peg I need to affix to the side cover.

Highway, is that the method/material you used?
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Niiiiiiice! I'll definitely try this soon.
              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I used the ABS slurry to fix this.

The broken seat trim from my 78 1000.

Pic of the applied slurry

Some sanding and bondo later and I have to look at the back to know where the repair is.

Comment

Ducks and geese and chicks better scurry....
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                  X