Easy way to remove 30 year old gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy way to remove 30 year old gaskets?

So I've been going around the bike doing maintenance that has been neglected by the PO. Every time I pull off a cover (valve cover etc.) I find a 30 year old solidified gasket glued to one piece or another (or both). I seem to be having to spend more time getting the old gasket pieces off than doing actual maintenance. This time it's the oil pan gasket and I was wounding if there’s some trick to it. Maybe soak it in something? Anyone else find an easy way to take care of this?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2012, 06:13 PM.

Permatex Gasket remover.
    in a spray can. spray it like spraypaint, let it sit, then use a plastic razorblade to scrape the surface.
    I love that stuff. but be very careful of overspray !

Last edited by exdirtbiker; 04-10-2012, 08:51 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

The softest Roloc wheel (or harbor freight equivelent) works quite well also...be gentle at first until you get a feel for it. If done right it will remove even the meanest gaskets and still leave the tooling marks in the metal from the factory..

Comment

I used the Permatex gasket remover, let it set overnight and the a SS parts brush. Worked well on the remaining gasket material and didn't leave marks on the surface.

Comment

I use a REAL razorblade, but VERY, and I do mean VERY carefully. It doesn't take much to dig in to the soft aluminum. I have to put myself in a TOTALLY different mindset when working on bikes than at my job, which is with boilers made of steel and cast iron with large bolts! None of this soft aluminum there!
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Trick question, right?
            Just get someone else to do it!

Eric

Comment

I've not found an easy way, but soaking in Marvel Mystery Oil and heat from a heat gun before scraping seems to help.

Comment

I used a utility knife blade and gently go along and cut the offending pieces off.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The new Permatex remover didn't do anything to my jugs gasket but discolor the metal on my cylinders. I use a razor scraper and get the correct angle so you don't mar the aluminum. A small brass wheel on a dremel is great to finish up all the little spots you cannot get to like in between the cylinders.

Comment

Soft Roloc in a die grinder. Not good unless the parts are 100% disassembled, since you don't want to get the abrasive in your engine. But it saves hours and hours of scraping and gouging.

Fine surface conditioning discs also work well -- just keep the tool moving and use a light touch, and they'll remove the gaskets with no damage at all to the aluminum.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you get a 40 year old oil pan for instance that you had to drive off with a hammer & a block of wood it may take several applications of the gasket remover. Just scrape off what you can & keep reapplying it & scraping until its clean. Ive thought of trying one of those scrubbly wheels on a drill but never tried it. I had one on a 76 KZ900 that I broke 3 2x4s on before it came off. I was starting to think I was going to break the block.

Comment

Acetone eats gaskets like a fat kid eats cake.
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
                          I use a REAL razorblade, but VERY, and I do mean VERY carefully. It doesn't take much to dig in to the soft aluminum. I have to put myself in a TOTALLY different mindset when working on bikes than at my job, which is with boilers made of steel and cast iron with large bolts! None of this soft aluminum there!
                          I use a razor blade as well, and you do need to be VERY careful and use a new blade as any imperfections/ gouges/ dimples in your blade (or being too aggressive/ using the wrong angle/ etc.) can scratch or gouge the seating surface and make your new gasket leak.

Comment

I use this handy plastic scrapper that I found on Ebay, its called "Lil Chizler", they go for less than two bucks. Solid enough to scrape with, but soft enough that it'll loose in a one-on-one with metal

Comment

+1 for roloc scotch brite discs with my die grinder.
                              Carefully though, the dust from it flies all over.
                              I usually stuff a rag in anything that nedds to stay dust free.

Tank

Comment

Working...
                              X