clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch cable

found a cheap price on clutch cable for gs750e $6.99 on d2moto plus $6.99 for shipping. make sure you apply the discount coupon which can be found in a google search. i was shocked

Originally posted by mits6dr5 View Post
    found a cheap price on clutch cable for gs750e $6.99 on d2moto plus $6.99 for shipping. make sure you apply the discount coupon which can be found in a google search. i was shocked
    Also seen on ebay for about the same price, $13.98 with free shipping. Bought one for my bike, was really nice quality. I've bought several items from this guy and have been extremely satisfied every time.

Comment

I had ordered a Motion Pro clutch cable once when my stock cable just would not adjust any longer. The stock cable was 26 years old. I installed the Motion Pro cable, everything was fine, thing is I only got 4 years out of it. The cable strands are no where near as heavy as the stock ones. I was fixing to leave for a rally close to me in the mountains when I pulled in the clutch and noticed only 3 strands on the cable were left. The others had broken. Great there goes my Rally that weekend...you get what you pay for. I have a new stock clutch cable again...
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        I had ordered a Motion Pro clutch cable once when my stock cable just would not adjust any longer. The stock cable was 26 years old. I installed the Motion Pro cable, everything was fine, thing is I only got 4 years out of it. The cable strands are no where near as heavy as the stock ones. I was fixing to leave for a rally close to me in the mountains when I pulled in the clutch and noticed only 3 strands on the cable were left. The others had broken. Great there goes my Rally that weekend...you get what you pay for. I have a new stock clutch cable again...
        Has anyone else had a similar issue with these? I always carry a backup clutch and throtle cable so as not to be left "STRANDED"...pun intended.

Comment

i put the 10% stiffer spring in my 850...ive broke one cable so far..was gettin ready to stop an bam it went...rode home without a clutch...luckly i had another stock one on hand...its still going strong..

id wish i could find a heavy duty cable...but might have to use both hands to pull it in then...everyone is in awe when they go to pull my clutch in....but i LOVE it

Comment

No problems with motion pro here.
            Think im going on 2 or 3 years, with EBC springs.
            The clutch is like Harley-tight...im surprised the cable hasn't snapped yet.

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
              i put the 10% stiffer spring in my 850...ive broke one cable so far..was gettin ready to stop an bam it went...rode home without a clutch...luckly i had another stock one on hand...its still going strong..

id wish i could find a heavy duty cable...but might have to use both hands to pull it in then...everyone is in awe when they go to pull my clutch in....but i LOVE it

Do what a lot of us do, if you use the after market heavier springs, so you don't end up with one popeye arm, only use 3 of the new springs mixed with the old ones, stagger them ever other one.

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
              Thats how mine feels, I have new springs as well, if mine last 3-5 years, I'm ok with that, and I have a good used oem one with me at all times anyway.

Comment

Why would anyone buy an aftermarket cable of a lesser quality when you can get a superior OEM cable for only a couple dollars more. I don't get it.
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by fisk View Post
                  Why would anyone buy an aftermarket cable of a lesser quality when you can get a superior OEM cable for only a couple dollars more. I don't get it.
                  Didn't know it was inferior at the time of purchase, if it fails prematurely, I won't replace it with the same, but go back to oem, I figured they were all the same and tried to save a few $$ at the time. I don't think anyone intentionally buys a lesser quality anything, kind of a silly comment.

It was mostly a purchase of convenience, I was buying other things via ebay and it made a one stop shop easy with fast shipping as mine had just broke and needed one fast. Got it in 2 days, but would have gladly waited, if I suspected poor quality, they had good reviews from other buyers at the time.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2012, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                    Dont know what Harleys you've been riding but mine is just as easy as any, maybe easier.

I agree with the aftermarket clutch cables. Not much cable there.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                    X