No announcement yet.

Tips on getting carbs back on bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm the boots up with a hairdryer until they are almost too hot to hold for more than a few seconds by hand... mount the carbs up quick & they will slide right in.

I also use silicon lube but I think anything that doesn't harm rubber would work including KY!

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Warm the boots up with a hairdryer until they are almost too hot to hold for more than a few seconds by hand... mount the carbs up quick & they will slide right in.

I also use silicon lube but I think anything that doesn't harm rubber would work including KY!

That is a great tip! thanks

Comment

On a stubborn set with new manifolds...

Eric

Comment

that one way to do it but i would prefer to just take it slide it between the frame and block and shove it on with my hands
          one side at a time left and right rock it on

Comment

K Y- where is this thread headin'???!

Comment

On my 850, I'd been struggling with this issue for some time. I finally realized that there is a slight vertical ANGLE between the carb intake verticla and airbox vertical. That vertical ANGLE needs to be picked-up by the airbox boots. Rotate the boots around on the airbox, until you pick-up that slight angle. Made a world of difference for me. Boots slide right on, fully, no fuss on all carbs, and I clamp them down. It's not much of an angle, but you'll notice it once you start rotating the boost in the airbox.
              Hope this helps !

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                And if you had an 850, that same job would take you about 20 minutes.

No, really. You can just about stand back and throw the carbs into place.

Good to know! I've yet to remove the carbs on my wife's bike, as it runs fine right now. Just doing the obvious stuff now, fluids, fork seals, horn button, tach lights, etc. Valve clearance is next.
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Me on one end the Wife on the other and a lil teflon lube,works every time,no joke,
                  i just reread that,not changing it tho hehe

Comment

I have done this on my 79 GS550L a few times in the last few weeks. Here is how I do it.

1. Remove the 3 screws that hold the airbox assembly in place.
                    2. Put the carbs in the airbox boots first.
                    3. Push the engine side of the carbs down, and fit them into the intake boots.
                    4. Loosen the rings on the intake boots and the airbox boots. There is a point where taking the carbs off is easy, but putting them on is hard. Loosening them helps a lot.
                    5. Sit under the bike (between the front wheel and the engine), and put your feet on the pegs. Pull the carbs toward your body, while pushing with your legs. This will prevent the bike from coming off the center stand, and gives you good leverage to pull the carbs on to the intake boots.
                    6. Tighten the rings on the intake boots.
                    7. Push the airbox on to the carbs, and tighten the rings on the air boots.
                    8. Put the airbox back into place, and replace the 3 screws.
                    9. Attach the throttle cables, and fuel hoses.

I have found this to be the easiest way for me to get the carbs in. Takes me only a few minutes now that I have the procedure down.

Comment

Working...
                    X