No announcement yet.

Before you replace fork seals- try this little guy-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just made one to see if I could. Took me less than 90 seconds. That tool is more like an impulse item...if it was in a store for $5 maybe.... but the website makes you buy 2 for $8 and charges $2 to ship.

Maybe just me but if I can make a tool and spend the money I saved on something else I would rather do that.

Comment

Sure be worth a try if you can make one from a milk carton...
      David
      1998 Suzuki Bandit
      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
      1978 GS1000 - gone
      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
        Yeah, but they come in many different colors - how many different color 5 gallon buckets do you have Eric?
        I can get at least 5!

Comment

nice, i ordered 4, fly yellow
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Bet it wont work on this Yamaha TX 750 Im doing...sat for nearly 24 years.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Some guys on the Buell Forum I am on recommend using old 35mm film - does exactly the same trick as the $10 tool.

Comment

I've cleaned them with a business card and made em stop leaking
                sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                1994 gsxr1100w
                1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

I used photo negative. Have used the side of a clamshell box before too (little thicker). It won't repair old crusty seals though...
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Went on a rough ride with a passenger yesterday, today I notice my seal was leaking ......I just cut a little peice of that clear plastic that the seal products in (the ones you have to open with scissors) and gave it the swipe. No leaks so far after heavy fork pumpin in the garage. Will see after a few days of riding if it stays sealed.

Comment

Interesting! To stop the major gushes of oil, (while waiting for parts), I pop off the dust cover and put a small piece of rag around the fork and then pop the cover back on. Works in a pinch for a limited amount of time.
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I tried milk jug plastic, packaging material, didnt work for me. too thick to get under the seal. I am living in the digital age, no photo negs around here
                        I ordered 1 and got 2 for less than $10

Comment

Last week I made one from a milk jug and used it on my GS650E's right fork seal, which was weeping a tiny bit.

After 900+ miles of riding at the Red River Rally (including about 400 hard cornering miles), it's still sealed tightly with no perceptible leaking.

This is one of the single neatest tricks I've learned on this forum. I hate changing fork seals.
                          sigpic

SUZUKI:
                          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                            Some guys on the Buell Forum I am on recommend using old 35mm film - does exactly the same trick as the $10 tool.
                            I was going to mention that until I came upon your response. That's the old tried and true method.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                              Maybe not on 30 year old seals, but if you changed your seals, in the last little while and you get a leak this just might be able to save you the need to redo a complete seal job again.... ?

doh.

hahhahah wish i'd seen this 2 weeks ago.

seals were replaced by a local shop 11 months ago.
                              right side started leaking last month.
                              disassembled both fork legs, replaced fork seals and rebuilt, new fluid.

at least i learned how to do the work though.

i think i know where i can find a milk jug.
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I was doing this to my fork seals years ago but I just used feeler gauges... Does the same thing...

Comment

Working...
                                X