Be proactive with Pilot Air Needle/Idle Mixture Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be proactive with Pilot Air Needle/Idle Mixture Screws

While doing my carb rebuild I had a pilot air needle that I felt would possibly strip out the next time I tried to remove it if it had some grime in the threads.

To prevent this from a happening, before installing your needles take a Dremel with a small cutting disc and gently deepen the slot in the screw head. Be sure that you carefully remove any burrs or shavings from the needle before installing it.

The next time you or another owner tries to remove them, they won't end up in the carb/exhaust forum posting about how to remove a stuck needle!

I also chase the threads and carefully place just a touch of anti-seize on the threads of the jet before installation also.

Eric

Comment

You want to be even MORE pro-active?

Take the rubber plugs that you removed from the pilot fuel jets and put them in the tops of the mixture screw towers to keep the crud out.

You did put new rubber plugs in, didn't you?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        You want to be even MORE pro-active?

Take the old rubber plugs that you removed from the pilot fuel jets and put them in the tops of the mixture screw towers to keep the crud out.
        Not a bad idea at all as they have no other use.

Eric

Comment

But if you have VM carbs you wont have any extra rubber plugs!!!! In fact, you wont have any!!!!
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            But if you have VM carbs you wont have any extra rubber plugs!!!! In fact, you wont have any!!!!
            You can put your fingers over the screws.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              That's perfectly fine. You don't have any mixture screws to put them over, either.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Correct Steve..but I was thinking about capping the pilot screws up in the bottom to keep crud from them.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                X