What's the best way??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best way??

What methode do you use to change sprockets on your bike is there something to know about the sprocket on the engin, before trying to remove it??

Also I rember there where a thread about wich way to place the rear sprocket? because the new one has a recessed face and the other one is plain

Last question is about the removable pin for the quick link, there is a way to place it but I dont rember wich way

Thank you for your help !

Change both at the same time but take a look at what is stock for your bike based on the information on Basscliff's site and your service manual.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

of course I am going to change both I have everythin in hand only thing missing is the littile details I asked about

Comment

Usually you put the rear sprocket on with the stamp facing outward. The sprocket should be stamped with a size like 530-43.

You place the master link clip with the closed end facing the direction the chain turns. Here is a picture.

Comment

Best bet on the engine sprocket is to use an air impact to remove the nut once you've bent back the nut washer.

Comment

To add to the above statement, loosen the nut with the old chain still on the bike. You can use a helper to hold the rear brake so you have some resistance instead of counting on wrench speed or compression.

Also loosen all the rear sprocket nuts with a wrench with the chain still attached.

Kenny

Comment

is it necessary to use a sprocket extractor??

Comment

is it necessary to use a sprocket extractor??
                The sprocket should come off easily unless it is rusted in place. Do you have a
                factory service manual? The procedure to change your sprockets and chain is included in detail. I'm all for do it yourself projects but unless you've got the proper tools and instructions your results could be disastrous. You don't want a sprocket or chain coming loose while you are cruising down the highway. Getting directions from a forum is iffy at best, stick with what the service manual says. Basscliff has a website where most service manuals can be obtained for free.

Comment

Working...
                X