Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shim selection Chart

Hi all,

Found this shim selection chart, if im not mistaken from GS1100 manual and can be reference for other GS valve clearance 0.03-0.08 mm. Very useful for person who hate to calculate (Like me )

Happy valve adjustment

Even easier is to request the very useful spreadsheet from member "Steve" (look at his signature). The program does the calculation for you and you can keep good record of all your valve adjustments!
    1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
      Even easier is to request the very useful spreadsheet from member "Steve" (look at his signature). The program does the calculation for you and you can keep good record of all your valve adjustments!
      Yep, just look down there for the info.

I don't have one sent to Malaysia, yet, but it's gone to 16 other countries besides the USA.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So the legend shows the lobes pointed at the rim of the head..I was always under the impression the measurement was done with the lobe directly 180 from the bucket...which ( or are both ways ) acceptable???
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Actually, you should use the service manual method for lining up the cams. You start with the No. 1 EX cam pointing forward, which puts the No. 2 EX cam pointing north. You can then measure both exhaust clearances.

Turn engine 180 degrees and now you can measure the No. 1 and 2 INT clearances.

Another 180 and you are ready for the 3 and 4 EX clearances.

One last 180 and you bring it home with the 3 and 4 INT clearances.

This way you get to check 2 clearances at a time. Also, you are measuring the clearance of each cam with its neighboring valve in the closed position, reducing any spring pressure from the adjacent valve that might throw off the clearance measurement.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BRacing View Post
            That's a lot of grid to tell you "If clearance too tight, go .05 mm smaller."

Most of that chart covers shims for valves that are way too loose. I have not encountered clearances greater than 0.10 mm. Even then, I am inclined to leave a 0.10 rather than bring it down to 0.05mm.

Happy valves applaud when I ride.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              So the legend shows the lobes pointed at the rim of the head..I was always under the impression the measurement was done with the lobe directly 180 from the bucket...which ( or are both ways ) acceptable???
              Following the book method, you will see that when the lobes are in the specified positions, neither lobe on that side of the cam is pushing on a valve. That keeps the cam centered in its bearings for more-consistent readings. If you rotate the cam to have the lobes pointing away from the valve, one or the other lobe will be pushing on a valve, skewing the cam in its bearing, giving you a slightly innaccurate reading. It actually gives you a slightly larger reading, leading you to believe you have enough clearance, when you might not really have it.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X