Custom Air Chuck for motorcycle wheels/tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Air Chuck for motorcycle wheels/tires

Ever notice that the angle of the air chuck interferes with the wheel and rotor and makes it difficult to put air in the tires? Bwringer and I did, and we came up with a solution:

I started with a Milton 699 Air Chuck. Very high quality, easily depresses the valve core, and does not leak. Far superior to anything else I had. Then I went to Menards and picked up a brass angle connector (45 degrees). I attached it to a 4" piece of copper tubing to provide a nice handle, then an air compressor nipple to connect to my air compressor hose. Of course, teflon tape on all threads is a given.
    This is how it looks when putting air in the tire:

No interference from the wheel or the disc rotor. Now if they only made air gauges with the same angle, I would be set.
    Note: Sucks for car tires, so keep your other one around for those.

or you could get one of these.......

or, one of these.......
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Not at those prices, I'll make one like koolaid's. $6 right lol
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I bought some adapters similar to what Agemax suggests. The air chucks I have here at the house work with all my wheels, but out on the road is something entirely different. I just keep one of these adapters in the tank bag, because I keep forgetting to ask to have a right angle valve stem installed when I get a new rear tire.

Having said all that, this new assembly of pieces looks easier to use than the tool I already have. My air chuck works, but its angles force things to be somewhat misaligned on the rear wheel. It really was meant to work with a truck's duallies.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          I don't recall the total price, but it was not that much. The angle piece was both the most expensive part and the most difficult to find. Only Menards had it here in Indy.

Comment

Make a bunch and sell them... keep you 2 out of trouble and I bet the guys would buy them for 10 bucks.. Maybe?
            Curt
            sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

I just bent an old one to fit better.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                I just bent an old one to fit better.
                We actually discussed that, but we wanted a more elegant solution.

Comment

Elegant usually costs money. You have a functionally beautiful piece there.
                  Curt
                  sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    I have been Patchboy 90 Degree bend tire valves for years on my Valkyrie.... $2.15 per valve.

2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                    s)

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
                      Elegant usually costs money. You have a functionally beautiful piece there.
                      Curt
                      Yes elegant costs money, although by elegant I actually meant something a bit better than a bent piece of tubing.
                      And thanks. It works great, just used it this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                        I have been Patchboy 90 Degree bend tire valves for years on my Valkyrie.... $2.15 per valve.

http://patchboy.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...egory_Code=6-3
                        Those are great, but Brian runs a lot of bikes in and out of his garage. He wanted a solution that he could use on everyone's bike. Me, at the time I had 2 bikes, so I also needed one that would work on multiple bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          Ever notice that the angle of the air chuck interferes with the wheel and rotor and makes it difficult to put air in the tires? Bwringer and I did, and we came up with a solution:

Needs some polishing.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have one of those style heads but it is at a perfect 90 degree angle. I roll the rear wheel so it is at the 9 oclock position ( 3 if your on the left side of the bike ) and no problems. I drag the front wheel up till the stem is at the front most position..done.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Needs some polishing.

I'll bring it over next time I'm in town. Smarty.

Comment

Working...
                              X