Custom Air Chuck for motorcycle wheels/tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
    Those are great, but Brian runs a lot of bikes in and out of his garage. He wanted a solution that he could use on everyone's bike. Me, at the time I had 2 bikes, so I also needed one that would work on multiple bikes.
    I agree with you.
    I was only responding to mrbill5491 's comment about $6.00 valves. There are less expensive ones available.
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Needs some polishing.
      I'll bring it over next time I'm in town. Smarty.
      I'll try to remember to let you know when I will be there.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use an accu-gauge with a pass-through port on it. Works great...
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
          I agree with you.
          I was only responding to mrbill5491 's comment about $6.00 valves. There are less expensive ones available.
          I was referring to the shipping cost of the ones on ebay that was posted.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            I was referring to the shipping cost of the ones on ebay that was posted.
            they were just examples of what is out there. im sure you can find some closer to home without the shipping costs.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              they were just examples of what is out there. im sure you can find some closer to home without the shipping costs.

Oh yeah, I'm sure there is. Been thinking about making one air chucks.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

This whole thread is useful, but one tip I really appreciate is the specific air chuck you recommend - Milton 699 - "Very high quality, easily depresses the valve core". My current air chuck stinks, I have to fiddle with it just right so it flows air. Thanks!

Comment

This will be nice to try making as I currently have to turn the rear wheel until the stem is almost perpendicular to the ground so I can fit my current one in there under the rotor.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by DPage View Post
                    This whole thread is useful, but one tip I really appreciate is the specific air chuck you recommend - Milton 699 - "Very high quality, easily depresses the valve core". My current air chuck stinks, I have to fiddle with it just right so it flows air. Thanks!
                    Welcome, but the credit goes to bwringer, who told me about it. One thing I found is that the price is all over the map. Bought two; one for my bike air chuck and one for my car air chuck.

Comment

Great idea! I have an extended one, but the angle helps, I'm sure!

1979 GS1000

Comment

The angle is the key to getting in around the disc rotors without major contortions. The Milton 699 was the icing on the cake. The little nubbin that depresses the valve core extends farther and is more firmly centered than any others I have seen.

Comment

Then I went to Menards and picked up a brass angle connector (45 degrees).

I believe that "connector" is a "1/4", 45 degree bronze street elbow" . A good plumbing supply distributor should have them, maybe even Home Depot...

That's a great idea BTW - I'll have to make a couple myself.
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

It is a 45 degree brass elbow. Not sure about the "street" part, I picked it up in the plumbing department where they have bins of small brass plumbing parts. I do my best not to step into Home Depot, and since in my part of town Menards is couple of blocks away from Home Depot I went there. But you could be correct about that as well. I did strike out at the Ace that I went to.

Comment

The "street" part means it has a male threaded end & a female threaded end - the threads are both 1/4" NPT pipe threads...

The elbow is actually cast bronze. That short pipe (or nipple) that's connected to the elbow is made from brass.

Both have copper as the main alloying metal, but brass is typically 60% copper and 40% zinc. Bronze is typically 80% copper and 20% tin.

Anyway, I gotta make me a couple of those...
                              '85 GS550L - SOLD
                              '85 GS550E - SOLD
                              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                              '81 GS750L - SOLD
                              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Harbor Freight has an airline with a swivel on it that helps with this too. $5 although I'm sure yours will last longer
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X