No announcement yet.

Good tools cheap vs cheap tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone on here have, or have ever used, one of HF motorcycle lifts? Not the little motorcycle/ATV lift but the actual table lift. I saw them on sale recently for $299 and really didnt think I could go wrong at that price but would like some feedback first on them.

Thanks,
    Mike

Comment

My buddy has one, he lifted a Honda ST 1300, a very heavy bike. Up on the table for months as he redid a bunch of stuff. It was OK with the weight, a little wobbly down low but it gets more solid as it goes up.

Nowhere near as solid as a Handy Lift or similar.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        My buddy has one, he lifted a Honda ST 1300, a very heavy bike. Up on the table for months as he redid a bunch of stuff. It was OK with the weight, a little wobbly down low but it gets more solid as it goes up.

Nowhere near as solid as a Handy Lift or similar.
        Would you buy one for $299 or spend more? I ask because you've acknowledged your frugal nature many times.

Comment

I bought a used Handy Lift. It was more than $300 though.
          Was going to buy the HF unit when the used one showed up on craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by motomike View Post
            Does anyone on here have, or have ever used, one of HF motorcycle lifts? Not the little motorcycle/ATV lift but the actual table lift. I saw them on sale recently for $299 and really didnt think I could go wrong at that price but would like some feedback first on them.

Thanks,
            Mike
            Over on ADVrider.com, there are lots and lots of people who are very happy with their HF lifts. One common thing people do is upgrade to a decent front wheel chock -- the wheel clamp that comes with the lift is laughable, but with a coupon you can get a much better one and bolt it on for about $25 from a few aisles over. Overall, the consensus seems to be that it's a great deal.

I have one of these air lifts from a local distributor, and it's fantastic if you have compressed air: http://www.completehydraulic.com/lif...ycle-tcml.html
            You can find the same lift sold by many different distributors across the US in a variety of colors.
            Last edited by bwringer; 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the input guys. I read some of the reviews on HF website and the 2 main gripes about their lift were the mediocre front chock and the hydraulic pumps tearing up prematurely. I wonder if there's a way they can be converted to pneumatic without too much cost & trouble. Any ideas??

Comment

I wish mine was not pneumatic. It's not like you go up and down constantly, for me it's usually put a bike on and go up and then it sits there for a week or so.. Just pumping it up using a foot pedal would be fine. The air works fine, too, but the compressor is usually over there wherever it was used last. Also where I have the lift there is no outlet for the compressor, bad planning on my part. Have to go find it, untangle the hose, take it where I can plug it in, turn it on and build up enough pressure, then take it back over to raise the lift.

If I could just pump the lift up with my foot it would be much easier.

Comment

I have one of the HF lift tables and it came with the upgraded front wheel clamp, tie down points and is both air and hydraulic. It is the same as being offered now, except with the above-mentioned features. I don't think HF is selling this exact unit anymore.
                  NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                  Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I've been watching HF lately, I'm thinking about a little service cart for the garage, trying desperately to bring some order to it. Just got a rolling tool cabinet to upgrade the two Craftsman 3&4 drawer toolboxes. It's a Husky, it was a good deal, seems well made, has lots more storage (6 drawers and a storage cabinet on bottom. Plus an intermediate chest can be added if need be. Also it's made in the US, which surprised me. One of the Craftsman boxes went into the basement to try to bring some order to that area. All of this started because I went looking for a couple tools to keep at work for guitar string changes. One thing that's really really needed is for the garage floor to be redone, because it's very similar to the surface of the moon atm. The tool cabinet is up on a thick piece of plywood, there's no way it would roll on the floor. Looking for a 1/3 hp motor for a tabletop drill press too, I think HF may have one. A bench grinder would be nice too...
                    Last edited by Allie; 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                    X