Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000E Engine Removal from Frame

Found this on You Tube.
    Show's just how easy it is to get a engine out from the frame, might be of interest to someone that needs help.
    This is the easy way to do it.I use an automotive floor jack, a short piece of 2 X 6 under the engine with short pieces of wood to level the engine and jack ...
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Hahaha. The motor was already halfway out. I definitely would not want him working on my bike or anwhere near it.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Damn that sounds so much like how Eric (7981GS) would talk on here it ain't funny.

Actually, just checked out his other videos and yea, it's him.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I was out to sea when whatever happened and he was no longer here. But I've PM'ed him lots of times and bought several items off him and he was golden. He'd also send me off to other sources if he didn't have what I was after.
        1983 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
          Hahaha. The motor was already halfway out. I definitely would not want him working on my bike or anwhere near it.
          He said in the video he had to slide the motor back in for his demo.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Wish I had known this before I did this:

This video was condensed from about one hour of recording. The process took at least 2 hours in total although I had been slowly working on the bike for sev...

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
              Wish I had known this before I did this:

This video was condensed from about one hour of recording. The process took at least 2 hours in total although I had been slowly working on the bike for sev...

Greetings
              Wow! That looked like a jolly good time. How's the rebuild going?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                He said in the video he had to slide the motor back in for his demo.
                Yes, and he didn't put it in far enough to be meaningful. Once the motor is as far out as where it was when he started the demo, the hard parts are done. An effective demo would have been to start when it's all the way in. I'm not saying he doesn't know his GS's, but knowing the starting steps, what to remove, watch for, etc.
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I agree. If it started with the motor fully in the frame, just completely unbolted, O.K. As is, who really cares, the hard part is already done. All he shows is that you have a jack and a board it makes it easier to put onto the board. Whatever.

Comment

I really can't understand all the fuss in removing the engine? I have done it 3 times over 30 years with about 10 years between each time so it is a learning experience each time. I just unhook everything, put floor jack under sump, remove breather cover, tilt engine up in the back, straddle frame and lift the engine over the frame. Then wiggle it out of the frame onto a stack of wood or a milk crate.

I am only 5'10" and 175 pounds and not as strong as I was the last time I did it. I did it last night and it only took me 10 minutes once everything was unbolted.

Maybe people just think it is a daunting task and get worked up over it and this creates difficulties?

Cheers
                    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                    X