No announcement yet.

In need of tips on where to buy tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-seize and WD-40. Mity Vac brake bleeder. Motorcycle lift table. HF has them on sale for 299 then use the 20% off coupon.
    Last edited by 1980GS1000E; 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Don't forget the hammer and the vise grips! Channel Lock pliers are also a good all-rounder.

For a basic motorcycle toolbox I'd recommend the 1/4 drive metric socket set, which hopefully will include a couple extensions, ratchet, flex bar. For smaller areas a 3/8 drive set is very handy, and should have a nut driver handle in it. Deep sockets are great but I really don't think there's anything on a bike that needs them, is there?

A metric combination wrench set is good, if you have some money for it get a metric stubby wrench set. Having two wrenches of the same size can be very useful at times. Most motorcycle fasteners range from 10 to 15mm, I'm not sure about the axle nut though, I use a 15/16 open end wrench on mine, it's pretty big.

The screwdrivers of course, JIS is best and a couple flat blades in various sizes, including a long skinny one.

Pliers - slip jaw, needle nose, vise grip, lineman's, channel lock, maybe diagonal cutters and you're good to go. If you try to rebuild brake cylinders long skinny needle nose pliers can be used to get the retaining clips out. Oh that reminds me you want snap ring pliers too.

Hammers - ball peen, small sledge and a rubber mallet are the biggies.

Allen keys are only needed if you replace existing fasteners with them, engine case screws and intake screws are popular ones to replace.

Small wire and brass brushes are great, and a large wire brush is often useful too. SAVE those old toothbrushes as well, all of them.

When you get into rebuilding that engine though you'll be needing quite a few specialty tools...

That HF tool set looks like a nice starter set that you can build around, but since you have 1k marked for tools take a look at similar Craftsman sets too, they're about $300 and well worth it IMO and still leave you lots of money to fill it out with extras. For $1000 you can basically have any tool you want and a fairly nice box, though I fear once you buy all the specialty and machining tools you'll be over that, but you buy what you need when you need it, not all at once. IMO invest in a good quality basic set, then decide what can be 'economy' and what should be good quality.

Oh a tip, I got this nice box at Home Repo for a good price, about $130 I believe. It's now $98, you might consider JUMPING on it. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UQsr6aWCmSo
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Walmart has the 40 or 60 piece STANLEY kits that have the SAE and METRIC allen wrenches..lifetime warrenty too.

Something like 55 bucks on sale.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you have any pawn shops nearby, check them out too. Lots of times they will have boxes just filled with loose tools. I go every now and then and find some good stuff. Last time I went in, found a loose set of Craftsman screwdrivers. Gave .50 a piece for 6 of them.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The Stanley stuff still looks like mostly good quality stuff for the casual mechanic, even though it's made in China now. I have some Stanley stuff that I see was made in the US, sigh those were the days....

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Allie brings up a valid point, as branding is an issue. For example, my last visit to Craftsman land found lots of Chinese products where only USA lived before.

Comment

Sad but true. Their sockets and wrenches are still American, but lots of pliers and such are not. I bought a set of hex keys that turned out to be Chinese from them. They still sell good quality stuff, it's just disappointing. Selling America by the pound. One thing I still like Craftsman for is that there's a local store that I can go to, which is an advantage over Harbor Freight to me. Likewise Home Despot and Lowes. Hey that Husky tool cabinet I bought says USA in it, I was surprised.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I do some tool shopping on craigslist I found some really great deals on snap On & mac stuff. divorce forces sale stuff is great too. you can also put a want add on craigslist just do some research before ya pull the trigger, that way you are not spending more than the stuff is worth

my 2 cents
                  ant

Comment

My findings on cl are that the people selling the tools think that they can charge almost retail for their used crap.
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                      My findings on cl are that the people selling the tools think that they can charge almost retail for their used crap.
                      Thats probubly because you live in California on the wrong cost !

Comment

Working...
                      X