Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you call a print and cut service for making templates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you call a print and cut service for making templates?

I'm having a hard time coming up with a descriptor for what I want to accomplish.

Making gaskets is not that hard. Currently in order to visualize the inner edges and bolt holes, I use a film of oil on the mating surfaces and press the cover onto the gasket paper. This usually works, but in some cases it does not leave a clean impression of the more intricate or broader surfaces of the gasket.

I want to make some of the odd-shaped gaskets a little easier to replicate by creating a template from a scan of the OEM gasket, and printing it onto some plastic or card sheet, that can then be used to trace the gasket pattern onto the gasket paper. I figure this would save time when trying to trace the inside edge, and various bolt holes etc, compared to using the oil method.

What terms should I be looking for in my Google Search?

Die cut comes up with business card printing for the most part.

Should I just take the scan to a CNC shop and have them cut the shape? Sounds expensive, and I don't think I can justify doing it on my work budget .

Overly ambitious? Yes. Cool factor...maybe.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Not sure I understand ? Can't you just go to the library and scan the gasket and then lay the scan on top of the gasket material then cut ?
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

It might be just easier to put make a template yourself out of Mylar, PETG, acrylic or anyother plastic sheet, put your gasket on top use a thin point sharpie to outline, use scissors, box cutter and hole punch to make, shouldn't take that long.

Comment

BCCap,

if you just use a paper print, you will usually get a ragged outline or you may cut the paper template. It's not a precision operation, but having a rigid template would make the job much easier.

The whole idea is to create a rigid template that will not move around when tracing the pattern, and has some weight and staying power.

Dodik...the outside edge should be easy-peasy---I thought the bolt holes and really fine angles might be a problem when cutting thicker sheet plastics. That being said, I didn't think about using acrylic. I might be able to handle that myself. Thanks for the suggestion. I could use heated cork-borers to cut the bolt holes, or a drill press would make for slightly rougher holes.

Same thing applies though as mentioned to Garth. I want a rigid template that won't move around, fold, etc when tracing a new gasket, and has a nice broad edge that you can pull your pencil along.
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Big D, if you can find a friendly trophy shop in your area that creates acrylic awards, they usually have a CNC router and can whip out most any 2-D template out for you. I've used an outfit here, and it's pretty cost effective.

Good idea, btw.
          '80 GS1000ST
          '92 ZX-11
          Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

acrylic

Check with a plastics shop, like AIN plastics. I think they have shops all over the country. Many of them have laser cutters and could cut 1/8" acrylic from a scan.
            https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
            1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Take thin clear mylar and trace the inner and outer edges and the holes and find a place with a digitizer. A digitizer has a crosshair they move and click along the lines which then is cleaned up on a cad program. Next it can be sent directly to their laser cutter or cutting plotter. Or they can put it on a disc that you can supply at any time you wish to have some cut.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X