Easy way to install a tire on a rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
    Anyone think this will work on a 190/50 17 radial dubious.

While I am here could someone recommend a particular brand of tire spoon? My "General Goodtimes" off brand pair folded up like a chinese lawn furniture... Perhaps it was operator error..
    You'd need some really long zip-ties. Or lots of shorter ones.

Thing is, really wide tires are sooooooooooooooo easy to spoon on. Zip-tie tire mounting just seems really silly, unless you're somehow stuck somewhere where you have the need to mount a tire, no tire irons, and a goodly supply of zip-ties.

Anyhoo, Motion Pro tar arns are that which you seek. They're sold absolutely everywhere that deals with dirt bikes. Get one long one and two short ones. Make sure you get forged levers, not the stamped steel cheapies you've already encountered. This looks like a nice set: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...m=tire%20irons

There are other good brands, of course -- the "Tusk" brand from RockyMountainATVMC.com is excellent as well. I carry three of these "Ultra Lite" tire irons on the KLR650, and yes, I've changed a tube on the trail with no trouble.
    Shop for Tools, like Tusk Ultra Lite Tire Iron at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer excellent customer service.

One trick for breaking beads that more people should know about: all you need are three small tire irons. Deflate the tire, lay the wheel down, then insert two tire irons between the tire and the rim with about two inches of space between and the "hook" at the tip facing up. Insert the third tire iron in the middle with the "hook" facing down (into the tire).

Push the two tire irons down with one hand, and pull the middle tire iron up with your other hand. With a little wiggling, you'll start to push the bead down. If it won't go all the way, move the arrangement an inch or so and work the bead loose a little at a time.

This will break the roughest, toughest bead in under a minute, tubeless or tubed. It's very safe, and done correctly with decent quality tire irons, won't damage the tire or rim. No brute force is needed -- no jumping on the bead, no trying to break the bead with the kickstand, or any other potentially disastrous methods.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      You'd need some really long zip-ties. Or lots of shorter ones.

Thing is, really wide tires are sooooooooooooooo easy to spoon on. Zip-tie tire mounting just seems really silly, unless you're somehow stuck somewhere where you have the need to mount a tire, no tire irons, and a goodly supply of zip-ties.

Anyhoo, Motion Pro tar arns are that which you seek. They're sold absolutely everywhere that deals with dirt bikes. Get one long one and two short ones. Make sure you get forged levers, not the stamped steel cheapies you've already encountered. This looks like a nice set: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...m=tire%20irons

There are other good brands, of course -- the "Tusk" brand from RockyMountainATVMC.com is excellent as well. I carry three of these "Ultra Lite" tire irons on the KLR650, and yes, I've changed a tube on the trail with no trouble.
      Shop for Tools, like Tusk Ultra Lite Tire Iron at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. We have the best prices on dirt bike, atv and motorcycle parts, apparel and accessories and offer excellent customer service.

One trick for breaking beads that more people should know about: all you need are three small tire irons. Deflate the tire, lay the wheel down, then insert two tire irons between the tire and the rim with about two inches of space between and the "hook" at the tip facing up. Insert the third tire iron in the middle with the "hook" facing down (into the tire).

Push the two tire irons down with one hand, and pull the middle tire iron up with your other hand. With a little wiggling, you'll start to push the bead down. If it won't go all the way, move the arrangement an inch or so and work the bead loose a little at a time.

This will break the roughest, toughest bead in under a minute, tubeless or tubed. It's very safe, and done correctly with decent quality tire irons, won't damage the tire or rim. No brute force is needed -- no jumping on the bead, no trying to break the bead with the kickstand, or any other potentially disastrous methods.

Thanks bwringer. I haven't changed my own tires in years as a friend has a proper shop machine. However, he does live out in the burbs and it can be inconvenient for both of us. So last summer I tried to squeeze a final trip out of my contis because I couldn't find the time to get out there - I had(still do) a brand new pair of BT's sitting in my garage. -- well about 300km later I walk out of the school house in Wintrop, WA to see some really nice steel cords on my tire... limped to Wenachee- about 80miles of a bit of anxiety to spend about $270 on tire that is mismatched and the wrong size ... . I'm a genius.

Comment

I prefer the "old fashioned" way.

See the easy way to change your tubeless motorcycle tire. Motorcycle tire changing is easy. Balance your motorcycle tire using Dyna Beads. Motorcycle tyre...
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Ive put 16 inch tires on my Harley Fatboy, & 18s & 19s on my Gs1100s with it.

Comment

To Octain,

re:

"I prefer the old fashioned way."

Me too.

S.

Comment

I agree with Bwringer on how to break beads. Another alternative though is a small tool also made by motion pro. It's a plastic wedge shaped tool with a handle on the end. It's designed so you can hit it on the end of the handle with a dead blow hammer and it forces the plastic wedge between the rim and the bead of the tire thus breaking the bead. I have changed several motorcycle tires in my day and I find my GS1100GL to be the easiest bike yet to change. Another reason I love the old girl so much. Her shoes are cheap and easy to replace.

Comment

Lets see, chrome rim, Wide rim, deep dish rim, suitable for 160/180 tyre having a small what looks like 110 or 120 tyre fitted. A child could do that without zip ties. let along a huge alpha male puffing and panting doing it. Like to have seen him seating the bead after they been held in tight.

Comment

I think you have explained it, sharpy....
                  Lucky you folks that Can use pull ties, but it ain't me and my bikes.

This is a spare Honda tubeless tire and rim "unstuck" after taking it off and putting back on with irons .... I could not fit pull-ties in there, let alone slip it off or on magically.

Comment

**** installing tires, annoying and frustrating, I pay $20, done....
                    I'd rather do a complete tear-down on my engine....way easier.

Comment

Wow, I have never finished a rebuild in ten or fifteen minutes, not even on single cylinder two strokes.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

These work great using the same principal BWringer talks about above... Bit pricey is the only issue but they double as tyre irons as well and are very light (for anyone that matters for).

Their Beadbuddy works great on spoked wheels

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                        X