Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to put engine back in without damaging paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to put engine back in without damaging paint?

Hi, my frame has a fair amount of scrapes and nicks so I was thinking about painting it while the engine is out.
    But how do you get the engine back in without destroying the new paint job?
    I was thinking of putting some foam or taping rags around the frame, how have YOU done it?

You've got the right idea. Corrugated cardboard taped on is my preference as you can cut / tear it off easily.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Engine on frame

I saw some pics in here, the engine was laid on it's side and the frame was lowered around onto it.

I'll try to remember the thread.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

cover as much of the frame as you can, also get a few mates round to help you lift it in.2 or 3 people can lift it in so carefully you wont scratch a thing.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Something like this.....it's what I did

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

however you will still get a few scratches, well I did...

the scrapes

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Comment

I was lucky as I had done a full top end engine rebuild so my engine was dry and I was able to leave the oil pan and valve cover off. That's a ton of extra play. 2-3 inches up and down. I just slid it in sideways off a low wood steps tool I had. Cardboard around the frame tubes is waaay better than rags.
            Many guys have used a motorcycle jack to do the same thing ....sliding it in sideways. IMO if the engine is lowered in with the engine hoist it will make for a harder time lining up mounting holes. It surely can be done though.
            Just protect that nice fresh paint and you will find a way

Comment

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up
              1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
              1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
              2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Seriously though, I wrap the frame tubes with painters tape. You can also use pipe insulation in some areas. It's hard to get out from the lower frame tubes though without destroying it.
                1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Bare frame

The method I mentioned below was with a bare-bones frame.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I did my GS550 recently without much trouble. Helps having two people. Also, on my bike engine can only go in/out of right side as seen while sitting on the bike.

Bike on center stand.
                    Put floor jack under/between bottom frame tubes
                    Place piece if 2x6x6 on jack and raise it to point where it just clears the bottom right side frame tube/engine mount point.
                    I placed engine on a small wheeled dally which I built up using 4x4s to a hight just above the bottom right frame tube/engine mount point.
                    Roll/move engine close next to right side frame making sure it is centered so as to clear all frame tubes and engine mounts.
                    Carefully walk the engine into frame transferring it from dally to board on jack stand.

It doesn't take much to transfer weight of engine to jack stand. Once engine is partly on jack stand have a buddy hold it and keep it from tipping out. Then carefully continue pushing engine into frame while moving/raising/lowering jack stand to clear/center motor inside rear engine mounts. The rest is easy.

Some scrapping is inevitable, suggest taping hight points on frame. Watch out for front frame tubes around area at the level of the front valve cover.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Comment

Lots of good ideas here! Thanks alot

Comment

Pipe insulation works great.

Using 3/8" steel rod to lift the lump in with help from herself.

-Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                          Pipe insulation works great.

Using 3/8" steel rod to lift the lump in with help from herself.

i like your thinking John.

Comment

I ended up using pipe insulation when installing the engine. Worked out great and no scratched paint

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                              I ended up using pipe insulation when installing the engine. Worked out great and no scratched paint
                              Magic! .
                              -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Working...
                              X