Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap aux tank build

Cheap aux tank build 10 Minutes ago
    I have used this header tank for years and it is as cheap as you can get. This set up was given to me by another member of this forum. I am not the genious who came up with this. Wish I could take credit.

Parts needed:
    1-lamp post (sourced from garbage)
    1-law mower gas tank
    1-6 inch piece of angle iron (mine came from left over from garage door opener install)
    1-Briggs and Straton Fuel shut off valve (from lawn mower)
    4 feet fuel line (mine came from snowmobile)
    1-inline fuel filter

Total cost under $10

Most old lamp posts have a threaded rod at the top to attach the lamp shade and they usually still have the nut still on the top. Pull the wire out of the lamp post throw it away. Take the 6 inch piece of angle iron and using the nut secure it to the top of the lamp post. Take the law mower fuel tank and suing ip ties secure it to the angle iron. Attach about 1 foot of fuel line to the nipple on the tank. Put fuel shut off valve at end of fuel line comming from the tank and attach the rest of the fuel line to the valve. I put the fuel filter at the end of the fuel line so I can attach it to the fuel line comming from thecarb. Fill tank and attach it to fuel line from the carb. Turn on shut off valve and run your bike. The lap post has a nice large weighted base so it wont tip over easily and it will be 2 to 3 feet higher than your bike. Enjoy

Well done, Macguyver.
    Added bonus....no more cutting the grass.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Man, I like that lamp base! ,,,, lol

Comment

Originally posted by fred smailes View Post
        Man, I like that lamp base! ,,,, lol
        Seems too difficult, I just hang mine on the handlebar of the next bike over.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

How do you ride like that?
          I did similarly with an old weedwhacker tank that I hung from beam in the garage.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You definitely have the advantage of (lack of) price there, but I have one of THESE that I hang on the handlebar.

Fewer parts to keep track of and much easier to transport if I need to work on a bike somewhere else.
            Also does not rely on "the next bike over", which a luxury not found everywhere.

Whatever your method, don't raise it any higher than the stock fuel tank, it might force gas past float valves that are just barely able to hold the pressure of a stock tank.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
              You definitely have the advantage of (lack of) price there, but I have one of THESE that I hang on the handlebar.

Whatever your method, don't raise it any higher than the stock fuel tank, it might force gas past float valves that are just barely able to hold the pressure of a stock tank.
              Holy Cow, $52 for a plastic bottle?

+1 on hanging it too high having an effect on the fuel level, but you may have restarted an ongoing argument among those members who don't know how fluid pressure works.

Comment

I just set the motorcycle's fuel tank on a step ladder next to the bike and use a 3' length of fuel line to connect it.

Stick a golf tee in the vacuum line, put the petcock on "prime", and off you go.......
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Holy Cow, $52 for a plastic bottle?

+1 on hanging it too high having an effect on the fuel level, but you may have restarted an ongoing argument among those members who don't know how fluid pressure works.
                  I too have the $52.00 plastic bottle (although I think I paid $40 on ebay) that is very useful and easy to store.

Now on to the petcock height issue, which I did not know. The last time I used mine, I hung it high on a garage door track. For two days after I used it, I smelled fuel near the subject bike!! Could it be because of the height? I never did pinpoint where the smell was coming from and I believe I have checked the oil level since.

Comment

I would be afraid I'd knock the beautiful gas tank down and dent the heck out of it..... I do have a few L tanks laying around here I could do this with.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      I would be afraid I'd knock the beautiful gas tank down and dent the heck out of it..... I do have a few L tanks laying around here I could do this with.
                      L tanks. Ha! I'd be afraid one would wussify my bike.

I use a rubber bungee strap to keep them secure. Been doing this for ten years, haven't lost one yet.
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I think an L tank is OK for temporary use if it's beat to crap and rusty. A shiny new gay one, no way.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post

Fewer parts to keep track of and much easier to transport if I need to work on a bike somewhere else.
                          Also does not rely on "the next bike over", which a luxury not found everywhere.

This is not true.
                          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Here we go.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                              This is not true.
                              Here we go.......

This subject started a very entertaining thread a few years back. If this one goes the same way, I'll sit back and watch before weighing in.

I ended the last one, probably too early for all the fun it was.
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:

Comment

Working...
                              X