front fork split ring will not budge, master cylinder recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front fork split ring will not budge, master cylinder recommendation

is there a method to get them off? its been a long time since I attempted to do it but I remember they would not budge at all, I really need to make sure this bike is gonna be safer to ride since there will be more power being put out.

also I would like to replace my front master cylinder and would like a recommendation , I was using an eBay one beforehand and while it did work I feel as if there are better options for a bike that weighs as much as mine.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Lots of penetrating oil....

On the MC I like the EX650 ones. I think I have a couple on my shelf, one with attached & one with remote reservoir if you are interested. I can send you pictures but probably not until the weekend (I am in Quarantine at the moment.... )
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Lots of penetrating oil....

On the MC I like the EX650 ones. I think I have a couple on my shelf, one with attached & one with remote reservoir if you are interested. I can send you pictures but probably not until the weekend (I am in Quarantine at the moment.... )
      which style is it? they have a rounded one and a square one
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

The one with attached reservoir is a Square reservoir one. Like the one on my skunk / 1100G if you can find pics. The more rounded one (newer models) doesn't have mirror mount.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

okay awesome thats the one i would like
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

If there's no visible leaks does it still make sense to change the seals? Could the springs possibly be worn out? I just feel like the front forks are alot softer than they should be but also the bike is 40 years old so I'm not sure
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

At 40 years old, the springs are shot. You don't have to replace them, but you'll be surprised at the difference.
              Fork seals are a consumable item. Plan on replacing them every so often, whether that's 10,000 miles or 50,000.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Should I replace the springs or get a different set of forks? I'm guessing the easier route would be the springs since changing the forks could mean changing the brake and rotor and possibly wheel.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Just order some sonic springs and set them up properly. Fit cartridge emulators if you want to go past that.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Just order some sonic springs and set them up properly. Fit cartridge emulators if you want to go past that.
                    i gotta ask just to make sure, but they do get sold in pairs right?

no i dont really want to go past that, i would just like the front end to not be so spongy, especially with more power and being appropriately tuned
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

also i must ask, is the kg/mm the stiffness rating? it comes in .80kg/mm, .90kg/mm, and 1.00kg/mm. which one is the one to get, this bike is meant to be have fun on but also be a daily rider,
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Contact Sonic Springs through their website and provide the information about yourself they ask for; they'll let you know what the best spring rate is. I just ordered new springs for my Bandit this past week
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                        X