1983 GS750E wheel swap options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750E wheel swap options

Is the 16" and 17" wheel combination (2.50x16 front 3.00x17 rear) on post 1982 GS1150's compatible with a GS750E of the same vintage?

OEM 750 is 2.15x16 and 2.50x17. Wondering if that small bit of growth was reflected in widening the forks and swingarm on the bigger bikes.

I'm putting a GS1150 front end on my '83 GS750ES, 3 spoke older Katana front and rear 17" rims, changing the bearings to match the 1150 axles on the 3 spoke Katana rims front and rear, and the front discs are off of a 600 (can't remember the model right now) that will get a set of TOKICO calipers, and that will allow me to run 17" rims front and rear.

Comment

Pretty neat swap. At least you'll have a greater choice of tires! I'm not looking to swap forks out due to trying desperately to keep the bike as OEM as possible. I don't mind some tiny adjustments to the rear brake support rod if necessary but any upgrade I do to the 750 have to be subtle. The BT45's are great tires and I might be too old to wear them out so swapping wheels might not even be a thing for me. It's fun to have a classic bike no one evens knows about. I went to a local VJMC event and my bike was generally ignored except for a few photographers that got her in the background of some other bikes. I guess that's the love you get when you buy a long forgotten, one year only 'super-bike'.

Comment

I understand you completely on originality. I just picked up a front Battleax tire, I couldn't find any for a while, I had purchased an Avon a couple of years ago, but didn't like it. Everything I am doing to my Suzuki is reversible, and I will be keeping all the original parts. I will be leaving the bike, all my bikes, and cars, to my son, so I want him to have that option of being able to put it back to stock, (I actually put this bike together out of the crate). The trick set up for these bikes back then was to put the GS1150 front end, and rear swing arm, as they bolt right up, and it gave you tires that were a little wider. I've seen a few done up like this.

Salty_Monk is a pro on this stuff and he gave me some good ideas. I belong to another Suzuki forum, and was able to purchase almost the parts I need for under $200 dollars, it was irresistible. All in all, it should cost me around $400 bucks to do this reversible set up. From what I've been told, you don't lose anything in handling, and the TOKICO brake calipers will be a big improvement. Having just put on the new Battleaxe front tire a couple of weeks ago takes off some pressure. I'm now finishing of my Kawasaki ZZR1200, which I almost robbed from a guy last year, it has 3485 original miles on it! I got the bike for $2400.

Comment

Working...
        X