No announcement yet.

Tire bead question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what it's worth, I converted my '82 1100E to tubeless and have not had any issues.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
      The rim size code will give you a clue (e.g. 17xMT2.50). The bead profile is identified by the bead code. MT is 'Motorcycle Tubeless' and as noted above early MT rims often don't have the 'safety lip' -which some say is more about providing an easier seal to pop the the bead on, rather than a run flat feature, but I think it probably does both.

Anything else, unmarked, WM (wide measure) or most likely J on a GS can't be run tubeless as rim profile doesn't match the tire bead.

Often in the early 80s tube type tyres and tubeless tires were run on MT rims with a tube. And I might add without problem. Some times as 'insurance' against these new fangled tubeless tires, of because folk wanted to keep running their favourite rubber.

This is new to me info about the rim codes, and if i remember correctly mine do have MT printed on them. ill have to double check when i get home though but great info.

Truthfully im not super concerned about losing the seal during a ride, (unknowingly) i just put about 750 mi. on 20 year old tubeless tires with no sealing issues. The valve core was already converted as well so presumably the PO didnt have any issues as well.

The main issue for me is right now if i were to get a flat it seems like i would lose the bead anyways so it sort of defeats the purpose of not having a tube, because i may not just be able to patch it and get it home if i cant reseat the bead with the wheel still on the bike.

my plan of action is to get both mounted up and if all goes well ride it a bit, if theres no obvious signs of issues ill try and deflate the tired with the weight of the bike and see if the bead holds after theres been some pressure and mileage added. if the bead doesnt hold i will probably throw in tubes just to be safe, if it holds then air and go

appreciate everyones input, alot of knowledge in this forum super helpful stuff and please continue to put up with the new guys

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
        For what it's worth, I converted my '82 1100E to tubeless and have not had any issues.
        Same here with my '83.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Somebody had a picture on here a few yrs back of cutting that surface flat for a tubeless valve stem. It really looks good & makes perfect sense. But never knowing about that tool, all the GS's I've had I just bolt the proper size tubeless valve stem in. those faaat rubber washers have always sealed fine for me. I've been around these wheels from the start, back in "78" and always read & listen to the possible problems, but so far I've not, and Ed said earlier he'd not heard of a problem running tubeless on these old rims. Also have found most bike dealerships and city shops won't put a tubeless tire on a rim not marked "TUBELESS". So far the private, country, & garage shops won't care.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

yeah the little country auto shop down the street from me didnt say a word about it they just seated it for me and sent me on my way

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Somebody had a picture on here a few yrs back of cutting that surface flat for a tubeless valve stem. It really looks good & makes perfect sense. But never knowing about that tool, all the GS's I've had I just bolt the proper size tubeless valve stem in.
              Like this tool...?

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
              Dazza from Kiwiland
              GSX1100SXZ, GSX750SZ, GS650GZ All Katanas, all 1982

Comment

Yup, that's the picture I'm remembering. That big fat washer on the valve stem squshes pretty good around the contour of the rim without the flat part cut in, but the flat sure would make it fit perfect.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

My 1980 GS850GL had tubeless on the bike when I bought it. Replaced with the same. Have had no issues until I left it sit in my garage for several years and it did go flat and break the bead. Had to use a ratchet strap to get it to fill with air again.

The parts drawing do show a tube for mine.
                  - David

80 GS850GL
                  Arlington, TX

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ARMNMTNDSDTXsm.jpg

Comment

The parts dia. at Suzuki Parts Monster shows the "80" GS850GL(T) had tubes in both F & R. The "81" GS850GL (X) has Tubeless on both F&R. ..

Comment

I fairly certain have the "T" model according to the way everything else looks.
                      - David

80 GS850GL
                      Arlington, TX

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ARMNMTNDSDTXsm.jpg

Comment

The parts dia. at Suzuki Parts Monster shows the "80" GS850GL(T) had tubes in both F & R. The "81" GS850GL (X) has Tubeless on both F&R. ..
                        1980 and 1981 front wheels were the same PN.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
                          I haven't owned one, but I've done other work on at least three or four other examples of '82 and '83 GS1100E. None had tubes by the time I saw them, and none had any issues.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

"80" & "81" front have same part # except color code at end, 80 grey, 81 black. All 850GL front wheel description says (N19xMT 1,85), even when part # changed for "82" & "83" the description stayed the same, all have the MT. "80" diagram shows an inner tube, part #17 on list says inner tube (3.50x19). The "81" diagram shows no inner tube and in the parts list there is no inner tube nor valve stem mentioned. After the part # changed in "82" none show an inner tube, but all show a valve stem... This all from Suzuki Parts Monster diagrams.

Comment

"80" & "81" front have same part # except color code at end, 80 grey, 81 black. All 850GL front wheel description says (N19xMT 1,85), even when part # changed for "82" & "83" the description stayed the same, all have the MT. "80" diagram shows an inner tube, part #17 on list says inner tube (3.50x19). The "81" diagram shows no inner tube and in the parts list there is no inner tube nor valve stem mentioned. After the part # changed in "82" none show an inner tube, but all show a valve stem... This all from Suzuki Parts Monster diagrams.
                              Interesting to note that the 80 and 81 OEM tyres listed in the parts diagrams for 850GL have different part numbers. 55100-45155 for the 80 (T) and 55100-45350 for the 81 (T).

It may be that the 80 bikes were delivered with a tube-type tyre and tube on early tubeless (MT) rims.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
                              Dazza from Kiwiland
                              GSX1100SXZ, GSX750SZ, GS650GZ All Katanas, all 1982

Comment

awesome info from everyone, should be getting the new rubber mounted today so well see how she does tubeless! fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                                X