Modification for Taller Ride Height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modification for Taller Ride Height?

Hi, I've recently picked up an '80 GS850G. Great bike, but a little short for me. I'm looking to add about 2" of height via the rear shocks or seat or combination of both. On the topic of shocks, are these relatively universal? And is there a make and model that's recommended as an upgrade?

If you add 2" of shock length, you'll alter the handling of the bike
    Do the seat instead
    There's lots of shock brands - progressive, iKon, ohlins, YSS, etc
    Yes, they're basically universal - shop by length and mounting type
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

thank you.. what seat mods do you recommend.. the seat moves on a hinge, and I don't want to loose the locking mechanism.. was thinking maybe airhawk plus a sheepskin on top.. but open to ideas!

Comment

Just how tall are you?

I know several members here who have 850Gs or 1000Gs (essentially the same bike) and are well over six feet tall and have no problems.

Longer shocks (up to an inch) are not a problem, but getting the correct spring on the shocks is probably going to be a better solution. By now, the stock springs are not going to do well holding up a rider that is much more than about 150 pounds. And, if you are looking to add more height, I think it's probably safe to guess that you might be a bit more than that.

IKON and Progressive are two of the more-affordable and readily-available brands.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

I installed a set of Race-Tech straight-rate front fork springs of .85KG and they keep the stock front forks topped-up on my GS,which raises the ride height quite nicely.
          I'm only 6'1" and 225lbs. and depending on your weight,you might decide on Race-Tech 1KG front springs.
          The next thing I want to do is get a pair of nice,new fully adjustable IKON quality rear shocks to 'even out' the ride height front and rear.
          Saving my $'s.

Comment

Adding 2" of ride height with shocks is going to cause problems with the shaft drive.
            Raising the rear on this wheelbase will lose steering head angle of one degree per inch raised... more or less

Comment

Working...
            X