No announcement yet.

brake caliper rebuild on the cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it's good to know so many parts are available for these bikes. My wife is ready to strangle me. I already have have a dozen items on the way to me right now and none of them are related to brakes. At least she (the bike) goes. Stopping is just as important though. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Upgrade to newer twinpot Kawasaki brakes if you really want good stopping power.....
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

DOH!

I initially thought that the OEM piston set was NLA, but it was just lower down in the parts listing. My bad.

Look it up on PartShark.com , and then SCROLL DOWN the parts listing -- the kis are at the bottom for some reason.

Only $28 too -- the crappy-ass aftermarket kit that only includes a few badly made seals costs around $26. Such a deal.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well I finally received my piston and seals kit and rebuilt my rear caliper last night. Surprisingly the old pistons were still in decent shape and the bore was clean and smooth. I went ahead and put the shiny new pistons in anyway.

It's funny. Somebody had at some point "rebuilt" the rear caliper before me. And the little O-ring that goes between the 2 halves, was simply stuffed into the threaded hole (the one that is for one of the 2 allen bolts that hold the 2 halves together). No where near the little port area where it belongs. Which would explain why I could previously watch the brake fluid seep out from that area and get everything covered in it.

Comment

Working...
          X