Front shocks leaking air – GS1100GLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front shocks leaking air – GS1100GLD

I have reason to believe that the front shocks on my GS1100GLD may have been overinflated by the previous owner. After setting the proper pressure, (12 lbs.) with a hand pump, it will leak down overnight. I know very little about this type of shock. Are they repairable? Is it expensive? Should I take it to a dealer? Can I do it? Are parts available? Please educate me. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

You can service the forks, replace the seals, etc. Then it will hold air better. Does yours have one valve stem with a line that connects to the other fork?

Ideally you should install new fork springs (I chose Progressive), spacers of the proper length, and new fork oil. Then you can do without the air preload.

Install Progressive Fork Springs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Air preload is dangerously unreliable.

Install new springs pronto.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi,

You can service the forks, replace the seals, etc. Then it will hold air better. Does yours have one valve stem with a line that connects to the other fork?

Ideally you should install new fork springs (I chose Progressive), spacers of the proper length, and new fork oil. Then you can do without the air preload.

BassCliff
        I have installed a kit that has a line that equalizes the pressure in both sides.

Comment

How is it dangerous?

Comment

Originally posted by mixongw View Post
            How is it dangerous?
            Forks that do not function correctly are dangerous. Even if you just putt around like a little old lady, the front suspension is absolutely critical to braking ability.

The stock springs are very, very weak by themselves. From the factory they were bad enough, but add in 25-30 years of sagging and they are ready for the scrap pile.

New higher-rate springs with preload set the right way (with spacers, not air) will allow your braking system to perform at its best. You'll also be able to corner far better and faster, (much more accurate tracking and more ground clearance) if that's what you're into.

The problem with using air for preload is that it's dangerously unreliable -- you're depending on two large, exposed seals to do an absolutely perfect sealing job despite dirt, bugs, and 25 years of wear and age. The air pressure also causes the seals to wear faster. With a preload spacer, there's simply nothing to go wrong.

With weak fork springs, maximum braking means the forks bottom out immediately and the front wheel chatters or hops because it can't track the irregularities in the pavement. You also lose much of your ability to maneuver quickly, and in a corner, your ground clearance is drastically reduced.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

BassCliff
              Maybe i missed it, but where is a good place to purchase these progressive springs from? I have a 82 GS1100G and the suspension bottoms out terrible and has about 1" travel due to sag (even with the air pumped up).

Thank you in advance,

David
              Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X