Screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed

My rear tire that is. Today while preparing for a ride and doing my usual pre-flight check, I found a screw in my rear tire. I removed it and put in a plug. I will give it a day to see if it holds. The question I have is, is this safe? The plug I mean. The tire is a 2 year old Hi-Max with good tread. I would not want to replace it if I don't have to. I know these tires have been discontinued, but I found some new ones on e-bay for a not so cheap price, $73.00 shipped to my door. Seems kind of high for a discontinued tire. And I don't know how old it is either. If worst came to worst maybe I would be better off replacing both tires with new ones. If it came down to that, any recommendations?
    Thanks.

Do not trust a plug. The only way I've found to reliably patch a hole is with the combo plug/patches. I've had plugs pull out after only about 10 miles and patches alone can work their way loose from flexing. I've used plug/patches several times on tires that had too few miles on them to change. Never any problem with them working loose or leaking and I put alot of miles on the tires after repairing them. You have to dismount the tire but well worth the effort when your life is on the line.

Comment

Heck I guess if I was going to dis mount the tire, I may as well replace it. I have read some comments about the Shinko Tourmaster tires. Also a lot of positive comments on Bike Bandit's web site. Maybe I should give a pair of those a try.

Comment

Working...
      X