Do I need new bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need new bearings?

So my rear wheel doesnt turn easily, it turns but it wont continue turning after i have let go, same with the front wheel. Can I just remove them and slather everything in grease? or will i need to buy a bearing kit?

More info please.... Are the wheels on the Bike ? Brakes dragging ? Chain too tight ? Which Bike ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I had the same problemm on a GS550E. It turned out to be worn brake pads, which allowed metal-to-metal contact with the edge of the brake disk. With a disk brake, there will always be a slight amount of drag, even when everything is set up correctly.

To check, listen for any scraping sounds when you turn the wheel. If you hear anything, remove the caliper and try it again. If that doesn't reveal anything, unhook the chain and try it. The chain could be too tight or have binding links. Lubing might help.

Also check to see that nothing is rubbing on the tire.

Should be pretty east to figure out. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
        I had the same problemm on a GS550E. It turned out to be worn brake pads, which allowed metal-to-metal contact with the edge of the brake disk. With a disk brake, there will always be a slight amount of drag, even when everything is set up correctly.

To check, listen for any scraping sounds when you turn the wheel. If you hear anything, remove the caliper and try it again. If that doesn't reveal anything, unhook the chain and try it. The chain could be too tight or have binding links. Lubing might help.

Also check to see that nothing is rubbing on the tire.

Should be pretty east to figure out. Good luck.
        This is very helpful, its a GS550L so the wheels are the same, Im thinking now that its very likely worn brake pads, Ill remove the calipers and get back to you guys

EDIT: alright I removed the caliper and the wheel appears to move freely, the pads arent too worn though but the piston looks a little corroded, Ill drain the fluid and take this apart. (New thread for problems with the take apart)
        Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2010, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X