Stuck pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck pistons

So my wheels were sticking and it turns out its the brakes, I took apart the rear caliper but I cant get the pistons out (probably part of the reason the wheels were stuck) and ideas? right now its soaking in WD40.

p.s. - Its a '79 GS550L

Do you have an air compressor ? Plug up the required holes and shoot some air. Take care and cover up the pistons with a rag or something, they may shoot across the room.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

A slower and messier way to do it is hook the caliper (without any brake pads) back up to the brake hose and push the brake lever. Fluid will eventually push the pistons out, although you might have to refill the reservoir a time or two. When they finally pop out, brake fluid runs everywhere so keep it away from your paint job.

Comment

Dont have an air compressor (wish I did) but ill head out and buy some canned compressed air, might not be as forceful but hopefully itll do it.

Comment

Hi,

I don't think canned air will do it. I've brought several brake calipers to the garage here at work, wrap them in a rag, put them in a vice, and use the compressor with a rubber tip to blow out the pistons using either the bleeder hole or brake line hole, which ever is not plugged. You have to plug one of them and use the other to force air inside to push out the piston.

And that is my profound glimpse into the obvious for today.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X