Rear Shock Options GS450L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shock Options GS450L

I have a 1986 GS450L that I have completely taken apart and am now in the midst of a complete restore/rebuild. I either want to restore the stock rear shocks, or purchase a new set if the price is right. I have two questions: 1. How do you completely disassemble the rear shocks, 2. What are some good options for new shocks?

Thanks Guys.

Check your welcome page. I just bought new shocks for my 650G. I couldn't afford the progressives so I got the MDI's from cycle recycle for about $90. They are a bit stiff like the reviews say, but are miles better than the 30 year old shocks I took off. BUT they do come with crappy bushings that have PLASTIC sleeves. I wouldn't bother using them. I used shock bushings and sleeves I had laying around from a car. I just ground them down, and drilled out the center so they fit.

I don't think the OE shocks are rebuildable. You can change the springs of course, but the shock body itself looks sealed.

Comment

Thanks for the information! If I were to replace the springs would it change the ride quality and by how much? Also if I took this route do you know what springs are decent/where to buy them? Thanks Again.

Comment

Don't waste your time on the OEM shocks. If you can afford them, get Progressive Suspension shocks. If not, the MDIs seem to be decent but stiff.

Comment

I suppose you could change just the springs, but a new spring with a bad shock will still ride like crap. I bought MDI's from here (scroll down to the Zuki's)

Like everyone says they are on the stiff side, but I stiffened up the front to match and the bike handles great. I couldn't afford the progressives, and couldn't see buying shocks that almost cost more than my bike.

This is a great place to buy from as well. Great prices, and fast service.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

When in doubt check your welcome page as much as possible!

Comment

I got my Progressives from Z1. You have to call them because they carry a lot more than they show on their website. Great folks, and very knowledgeable.

Comment

Working...
            X