Bridgestone Battlax BT45 first ride report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bridgestone Battlax BT45 first ride report

As a Fathers Day gift, my middle son bought me a new Battlax BT45 V rated tire for the rear of my 83GS1100E. We got it mounted on a freshly KG coated rim today. Took it for a 45 mile ride in the local twisties at a very moderate pace to scuff it up. Came home to recheck everything.

Oh yea, it replaced a Metzeller ME 88 Marathon that was bald...

Weather looked good and I just had wasehed the bike, so I decided to leave my rainsuit and tank bag in the shop.

Took off to the Blue Ridge parkway after a short ride on I-40. Tire is very smooth even to triple digits. I have some kind of front fork vibration/dance going on around 90-100... but the rear was smooth. The old tire was worn very uneven on the edges and it would wallow some on wide fast sweepers. No more!

On the parkway it was excellent. Great in the curves, very well mannered. I still have not really thrashed it in the twisties yet but it seems to stick very well.

Rain!! Coming home, it rained the last 20 miles in torrents! Handeled excellent in the rain and on the homestretch of twisties , pavement was wet, but no rain. I drove pretty much at regular speed and they never hinted of a slip.

So far so good in the first 150 miles.

Ken

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
    I have some kind of front fork vibration/dance going on around 90-100...
    Huh....sounds familiar.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Comment

Comment

A lot of guys on here don't like 'em, but I've had them on plenty of bikes over the years and been very happy with their wet and dry performance. They seem to last well too.

Comment

i have them on my kaw s2a

they are very popular with the tripples

ihave no complaints with mine
            overall i think its a very good tire, and they were fairly inexpensive for the kaw

Comment

Originally posted by Ricko19 View Post
              A lot of guys on here don't like 'em, but I've had them on plenty of bikes over the years and been very happy with their wet and dry performance. They seem to last well too.

I wonder why they don't like them?? could not find many negative comments when I searched except for one guy did not like the life he got out of them...

I was basically lookiing at 3 tires. These, the Sport Demons and Road Riders. Handling in wet AND dry are my bigggest with wear life second as I drive it to work every day.

Since my son bought them, it became a price issue between the three. I told him which 3 i was considering and he surprised me! Said it was a bribe so he could be my favorite son! (the other 2 got in trouble and he was aggravating them about now being the favorite son!!)

Ken

Comment

Those are all three good tires.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

On the RD400 forum, USA BT45's are the most often recommended tire. I have a 1000G with a set and I like the ride and feel, although in general I don't prefer tires with a center groove.

The Marathon you removed was a great tire in my opinion, but any new tire is way better than any old worn out crispy critter dried out tire.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I use them on and off the track. The rears will last a long time if you don't overpower them with a heavy hand but when the fronts start to go they are gone. When they start rolling little black boogers change them cause you can't trust them to have the traction you may want.

I like them.
                    There is nothing more dangerous than governing in the name of a theory.---Edmund Burke

Comment

The Marathons seemed to be a good touring tire. I have had the rear wash out a time or two in the curves at extreme angles. The contact patch got very minimal way over...

I did a full throttle 1-2 and 2-3 shift yesterday evening getting on I-40 and the front came up on both shifts. Never happened on the marathons. I am a pretty "thick' guy at 5'9" and 270 so they seem to have a little better grip which make me feel better...

Kinda startled me when it set back down. Did not realize how much your turn the wheel just by cranking on the throttle all the way. I need to do the $1 throttle mod.

Ken

Comment

good choice

I went through two sets of them on my gs500. They gripped very well in both wet and dry. They ride quality was great as well. The tread pattern seemed to help evacuate water quickly. I never once hydroplaned with them. Im actually going to be purchasing a set for my 650g before to long.

Comment

800 miles later and I still like them! 600 miles saturday and Sunday alone! Through 2 monsoon rain storms and they stuck like glue. Hold very well in the twisties so far. We did 300 Saturday and 296 Sunday. While eating lunch at a rode side pullover/scenic spot. Watched a crotch rocket go down after too much speed in a long straight away and then into a easy sweeper?? Guy had just ran the Dragon and must have still been in gotta drag knee mode on a long sweeper. he had on full leathers and was ok.

I have rode everyday since I got them on last week...

Think i will take a break tomorrow. By tail is a little sore.

Comment

Slickstones, some say they suck…

I'm just reading this on katriders.com:
                            If it has to do with tires &amp; wheels, then you're in the right place. <br> Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim? <br> Chains &amp; Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

Originally Posted by buffalobill
                            Thanks!
                            Please, tell me why use “Slickstones”, like how come that remark?
                            Bill

Kreylyn
                            Kat Master
                            Premium Member
                            Hard tires that don't grip. Battleaxes suck pretty badly.

Watched a guy try to do a wheel for 30 mins after doing burnouts and everything he could to warm the tires up... never could get the front up because the wheel kept spinning instead of gripping. Stupid slick...

Road Attacks, Pilot powers, or Pilot CT2s would be good choices. They will work fine with 120/70 and 150/70 on the Pre Kat wheels.
                            1982 GS1100G- road bike
                            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
                            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Comment

Had a BT45 on the rear of my Aprilia RS125 - brilliant tyre. I racked up about 600 miles a month on it for a year, and it was probably only just over halfway gone. That was all reasonably hard riding, too.

I've got a Metz Mara on the back of my GSX-1100F, seems alright actually. Nothing mindblowing, but it hasn't let go in the dry and feels secure enough in the wet.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Working...
                              X