forks drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forks drop

Recently completely cleaned forks and put in new seals on wifes' 81 450. After putting back together when you hit the brakes (just rebuilt caliper and bleed with mighty vac.) the forks want to drop down. Didn't measure distance from top of forks for oil level, but did clean all the old oil out and put in exactly the amount the manual said to use. No air valves on these forks. Am I looking at new springs, or could I get by with cutting them some and putting pvc spacer? If so how much should I cut? thanks in advance! terrylee
    Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM.

Anybody have a opinion to my spring question? terrylee

Comment

Didn't measure distance from top of forks for oil level, but did clean all the old oil out and put in exactly the amount the manual said to use.
      You should measure the level, the manual has a spec for this. That is why they provide you with the volume and a level.

The length of spacer will depend on how much preload you want up front. I would think about an 1 inch of sag would be adequate. I used heavy PVC spacers with progressive springs, front end sag is about 1.25" with me on board.
      The spacer protrudes about a 1/4" above the fork tube before compressing it.

Best thing to do is have your wife sit on the bike and measure the sag. You can tie a zip tie to the fork, when she sits on the bike and gets off, measure the distance from top of dust boot to the bottom of the tie. Once you have a starting point, I would trim a couple inches off the spring and then adjust the final length with a PVC spacer.

Comment

Considering those springs are almost 30 years old, the best solution is to replace them with Progressive springs, less than $100 shipped IIRC. The cheap solution would be pcv spacers.

Comment

Best is to replace them.. I would not cut them, make a spacer that sticks about 1 " out of the forks with them extended - no weight on the front

Comment

Best is to replace them..
            Your right Lynn the best way to remedy the problem is to replace them. Since the OP suggested cutting them this led me to believe that he did not want to spend the money on new springs. Many GS owners would rather use this approach than spend the money to upgrade the parts.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. This is my winter project for the wife, and getting close to getting on the road. Will check my finances and see if can swing new springs (found progressive ones for $70 plus ship) if not I'll try a temp. fix by cutting springs and putting in spacers as suggested. terrylee

Comment

As I said Don't cut the springs, cut a piece of PVC pipe for a spacer..

Comment

Sorry, will do as you said.Thanks much. terrylee

Comment

Working...
                  X