raising and lowerig front end, triple tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raising and lowerig front end, triple tree

i got some clubman bars and im guessing the front of the bike has been lowered because the bars hit the forks that come out of the top of the triple tree. how do i raise the triple tree up enough to clear the bars?

Originally posted by jstone8952 View Post
    i got some clubman bars and im guessing the front of the bike has been lowered because the bars hit the forks that come out of the top of the triple tree. how do i raise the triple tree up enough to clear the bars?
    ive got a 1980 gs550l in case any instruction was model based

Comment

There is a though bolt on the top triple tree and two bolts on the back of the lower triple, loosen these and the fork legs will slide down with some persuation (a soft hamer is usefull ).Make sure both legs are even when you are done.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2010, 04:32 PM.

Comment

ive loosened the bolts and banged on it with a hammer a little bit. wont budge. i put the bike on the center stand. im going to hit it with some pb blaster and see if its just stuck in place. do i need to remove the choke cable assembly?

Comment

The choke assembly should be okay .Hit the top of the fork tube itself .

Comment

You need to make sure there is no weight on them.. Put a jack under the engine to tip the bike onto the back wheel and centre stand.

You should not need a hammer.

It's better to take the front wheel off first and fender then you'll be better ablet to twist them.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by jstone8952 View Post
              i got it. the choke has a nut around the base and they wouldnt move until it was loosened and moved up.

thanks guys

Comment

Working...
              X